Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by z3r0 <ki...@hotmail.com> on 2007/02/01 20:59:30 UTC

Made my first rule but is not checking anything? Do I need to enable that?

I'm a common user, just have a hosting account and spamassassin 3.1.7
enabled.
The only directory in all my ftp folder that contains something related to
SA is
in root .spamassassin, where lives just 4 files, one of these is user_prefs.

In same folder added a new rule I made (a .cf file) and droped there.

My .cf file contains this:

header PALABRAS_MALAS_SUBJECT	Subject =~ /\belefantes|ilegales|africanos\b
describe PALABRAS_MALAS_SUBJECT Contiene palabras malas en el asunto
score PALABRAS_MALAS_SUBJECT	1.1

My intention was: If any of the words: elefantes OR ilegales OR africanos is
found on Subject,
then score that email 1.1.

Then uploaded the file to that folder (I don't know if that's enough or I
must "enable" something to tell SA that reads that rule.

Then sent an email to me using a yahoo email account (not whitelisted) and
my email came, took a look at header of message and saw this:

I expected there to appear something like: PALABRAS_MALAS_SUBJECT	1.1

My questions:
1) Is the rule ok?
2) Is it enough with uploading the .cf files to that folder in order to
work?
3) When a message comes, SA reads all the rules and tags the header
according those that give positive values?
4) What is going on?

Re: Made my first rule but is not checking anything? Do I need to enable that?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 11:59:30AM -0800, z3r0 wrote:
> I'm a common user, just have a hosting account and spamassassin 3.1.7
> enabled.
> The only directory in all my ftp folder that contains something related to
> SA is
> in root .spamassassin, where lives just 4 files, one of these is user_prefs.
>
> 2) Is it enough with uploading the .cf files to that folder in order to
> work?

If they're running spamd or generally anything other than the "spamassassin"
script, rules in user_prefs are ignored.

> 3) When a message comes, SA reads all the rules and tags the header
> according those that give positive values?

It depends how they have things setup.  SA is likely running as a daemon, so
all the rules and such are read once and then used for each message coming in.
Rules with a score of 0 aren't run.  There may be header markup, depends on
the configs and how it's run.

> 4) What is going on?

You really want to talk to the hosting provider about their setup and
what they allow on their systems.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"Every year it's the same darn thing.  I can make three little kids out

Re: Made my first rule but is not checking anything? Do I need to enable that?

Posted by z3r0 <ki...@hotmail.com>.
I did but didn't see any of that in message header pressing ctrl F3 in OE...
So perhaps is not working or either it is but there is no way I notice
that...

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, z3r0 wrote:

> >From my hosting admin:
> >>>
> You can add custom test rules to your user_prefs file in your home directory
> if you wish.

Good...

> In case I want to add 3 rules just paste all that text in there and that's
> enough?

Just to confirm that works, try putting this into your user_prefs
file:

  describe TESTING_USERPREFS user_prefs rules work!
  body     TESTING_USERPREFS /./
  score    TESTING_USERPREFS 0.01

and see if that shows up in your message headers (assuming you get
the report header that shows which rules hit).

 So Microsoft's invented the ASCII equivalent to ugly ink spots that
 appear on your letter when your pen is malfunctioning.
         -- Greg Andrews, about Microsoft's way to encode apostrophes
 Today: The 4th anniversary of the loss of STS-107 Columbia

Re: Made my first rule but is not checking anything? Do I need to enable that?

Posted by z3r0 <ki...@hotmail.com>.
>From my hosting admin:

We do not allow custom rules for customers because those custom rules would
apply server-wide and not to that particular user. Your custom rulesets
could actually end up blocking legit mail for other customers and this in
turn would make some people very mad."

You can add custom test rules to your user_prefs file in your home directory
if you wish.

If that's true, custom ruleset may affect others (never though that)
AND is it possible to add those in my user_prefs.

If I understand correctly, additions to my user_prefs are safe to others (I
will not spoil anybody but me in worst case) and all I need to do is cut and
paste from .cf files to user_prefs file (is that correct or am I dreaming
too much?)

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, z3r0 wrote:

> "rules that would kill system performance"
> I suppoused rules were nice and good, no time-bombs.

A hosting provider can't make the assumption that all their customers
will play nice (or, for that matter, are competent).

> So any chances for me or I must forget SA?

If all you have access to is your .spamassassin folder, it's not
likely. Please confirm whether or not you have access to your home
directory on the server and can create files and directories there.
Access via FTP will work - a local shell is not required.

Posted by z3r0 <ki...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, z3r0 wrote:

> Asked my hosting about the issue. The response was: "We do not
> allow clients to install custom SpamAssassin rules."
>
> That's terrible. Why can't users decide what rules to use. I want
> a life spam free...

A user could easily define a set of rules that would overload the
system.

You have a couple of alternatives:

(1) get a hosted box that *you* control.

I am very pleased with my virtual server at unixshell.

   http://www.unixshell.com/

(2) you may be able to set up a personal configuration of SA rather
than (or, more likely, in addition to) running the global one the
hosting provider controls.

Depending on the delivery mechanism (you're in luck if it's procmail)
you could run SA over the messages *again* with the site-config
directory set to a directory under your $HOME, with whatever rules you
want in addition to the default rules.

You might annoy the hosting provider if you do that, though.

Posted by z3r0 <ki...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 08:05:12PM +0000, Nigel Frankcom wrote:
> ..and don't forget to restart spamassassin (also make sure you run
> --lint)

To note, one doesn't need to restart spamd when there's changes to the
user_prefs file.  His issue is that unless spamd's specifically configured
to allow rules in user_prefs, they're ignored.  Turning that on brings
a host of issues, including performance degredation, so it's strongly
encouraged to keep the option set to the default: off.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
"In a few minutes a computer can make a mistake so great that it would

Re: Made my first rule but is not checking anything? Do I need to enable that?

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.

Posted by z3r0 <ki...@hotmail.com>.

z3r0 wrote:

> I'm a common user, just have a hosting account and spamassassin 3.1.7
> enabled.
> The only directory in all my ftp folder that contains something related to
> SA is
> in root .spamassassin, where lives just 4 files, one of these is
> user_prefs.
>
> In same folder added a new rule I made (a .cf file) and droped there.
>
> My .cf file contains this:
>

> header PALABRAS_MALAS_SUBJECT	Subject =~ /\belefantes|ilegales|africanos\b
> describe PALABRAS_MALAS_SUBJECT Contiene palabras malas en el asunto
> score PALABRAS_MALAS_SUBJECT	1.1
>>>

> My intention was: If any of the words: elefantes OR ilegales OR africanos
> is found on Subject,
> then score that email 1.1.
>
> Then uploaded the file to that folder (I don't know if that's enough or I
> must "enable" something to tell SA that reads that rule.
>
> Then sent an email to me using a yahoo email account (not whitelisted) and
> my email came, took a look at header of message and saw this:

> I expected there to appear something like: PALABRAS_MALAS_SUBJECT	1.1
>

> My questions:
> 1) Is the rule ok?
> 2) Is it enough with uploading the .cf files to that folder in order to
> work?
> 3) When a message comes, SA reads all the rules and tags the header
> according those that give positive values?
> 4) What is going on?

About: Your rule needs to go in /etc/mail/spamassassin dir
I have nothing in etc/ but a folder with my domain name and inside a folder
with my account name.

But I understood that you can put rules there, with the disadvantage that if
upgrade comes, they will be lost.

About: restarting SA I can't do anything as a final hosting user. Seems like
I need them, to do so...

RE: Made my first rule but is not checking anything? Do I need to enable that?

Posted by z3r0 <ki...@hotmail.com>.
Can I make all emails ham and spam have that report?

Posted by z3r0 <ki...@hotmail.com>.
Is there any way to check if SA is actually removing spam from server
instead, downloading
tagged? In CPanel there is an option, and I guess that must "write" that in
any file.
That's what I'd like to see.

Posted by "John D. Hardin" <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, z3r0 wrote:

> header PALABRAS_MALAS_SUBJECT	Subject =~ /\belefantes|ilegales|africanos\b
> describe PALABRAS_MALAS_SUBJECT Contiene palabras malas en el asunto
> score PALABRAS_MALAS_SUBJECT	1.1
> >>

> My questions:
> 1) Is the rule ok?

You probably want it to end with /i

> 4) What is going on?

You might need to ask the hosting provider to restart the SA daemon so
that your config change is seen.