Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Edgar González <eg...@valhallaproject.com> on 2004/03/23 16:33:09 UTC

J2EE artifacts generation

I have been using Maven since b4 until b7, now I’m upgrading to 1.0-rc1.

I’ve never found a clear path to generate J2EE artifacts, particulary EAR
files that including a WAR file.

Checking the documentation (Wiki and mailing-list), looks like I should use
the multiproject, WAR and EAR plugins.

In this approach I will have two subprojects, one for the WAR, and the other
for the EAR. But it seems that the WAR file generated must be in the
repository in order to be used by the EAR (I don’t was to happen because the
WAR file is only intended to be used in the context of the EAR file)

Is that true?

Which is the recommended way to do this?

Edgar González González
VALHALLA Project, s.a.
"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world."
Ludwig Wittgenstein

Re: J2EE artifacts generation

Posted by Webb Morris <we...@yahoo.com>.
I have a similar situation where I have to include an EJB JAR and a WAR in an EAR.

My solution was to create three projects, one for the EJB JAR, one for the WAR, and one for the
EAR.  The EJB and WAR packages create their artifacts and install them into the (local)
repository.  The EAR project simply depends on these other projects.

I then wrote a reactor script that sits at the top of the project structure that aggragates all
the ear.bundle jars from the subprojects and puts everything into the EAR as well as building the
Manifest and application.xml.

I don't know of a cleaner way to do it that doesn't violate the "one artifact per project" rule.

Hope this helps,

WM