Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com> on 2009/02/07 01:56:47 UTC

Working on CMIS

Hi all,

I'm from Nuxeo, and we plan on working a lot on CMIS in the coming
months.

We're very interested in the young but promising ideas embodied in the
current jcr-cmis sandbox, because we plan on offering CMIS bindings on
top of our current repository (Nuxeo 5.2). We'll be using and
contributing to the API+client parts of the jcr-cmis project very
soon, and I wanted to announce this to you first.

Nuxeo has been using Jackrabbit as one of its underlying content
storage for quite some time, and we're quite familiar with it. However
for the time being our area of focus will not be the CMIS-to-JCR
(server) part, but the building of a complete Java API and model for
CMIS, and the bindings of AtomPub and SOAP to it. Internally we'll be
writing a binding from the Java API to our Nuxeo Core API.

I'm not yet an Apache committer so our contributions will take the
form of patches for the time being.
I'll be floating ideas soon about code and stuff :)

Thanks,
Florent

--
Florent Guillaume, Head of R&D, Nuxeo

Re: Working on CMIS

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com> wrote:
> What do you guys think of "CloudMist"?

+1 I like it.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: CMIS / Camaieu

Posted by Paolo Mottadelli <pa...@gmail.com>.
Even if -Camaieu- IMHO is very 'sexy', I also understand that it could
be difficult to fix for non-French speakers.

+1 for -Chemistry-, I like it as well.

Cheers,

--
Paolo Mottadelli: http://www.paolomottadelli.com

Re: CMIS / Camaieu

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Torgeir Veimo <to...@pobox.com> wrote:
> What about CheMIStry? After all, it's about mixing various types of systems
> here.

+1

Regards,
Alex

Re: CMIS / Camaieu

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <ma...@gmx.net>.
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 16:12, Torgeir Veimo <to...@pobox.com> wrote:
> What about CheMIStry? After all, it's about mixing various types of systems
> here.

+1 I like the name.

regards
 marcel

Re: CMIS / Camaieu

Re: CMIS / Camaieu

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com> wrote:
> Well, we'll think of something :) Project is still hosted at
> http://hg.nuxeo.org/sandbox/apache-camaieu for now, I'll give a
> heads-up if we do another renaming.

No need to worry too much about the naming at this stage. The name is
important when the project matures enough to warrant a release, but
before that it's good enough as long as we all know what we're talking
about.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: CMIS / Camaieu

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
On 26 Feb 2009, at 09:56, Stefan Guggisberg wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>
> wrote:
>> Following this valuable input, we've renamed the project to Apache
>> Camaieu.
>
> erm... camaïeu is IMO hard to pronounce for non french speaking
> people.
> i would suggest choosing a simple, concise name which is easy to
> pronounce and spell.

We've had this feedback from other sources as well. "Camaieu" an
English word but apparently not known well enough.

Re: CMIS / Camaieu

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com> wrote:
> On 25 Feb 2009, at 12:49, Angela Schreiber wrote:
>>
>> Florent Guillaume wrote:

>>> Thanks, it's good to know.
>>> Would you say that an english-speaking German (or Swiss) hearing about
>>> "cloudmist" would have definitive negative feelings, or just that he would
>>> be amused at the double-meaning, or would not care or not notice?
>>
>> for me it doesn't sound promising at all... i thought that
>> was by intention ;)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Following this valuable input, we've renamed the project to Apache Camaieu.

erm... camaïeu is IMO hard to pronounce for non french speaking people.
i would suggest choosing a simple, concise name which is easy to
pronounce and spell.

cheers
stefan

Re: CMIS / Chemistry

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
On 26 Feb 2009, at 22:46, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Florent Guillaume wrote:
>> Following this valuable input, we've renamed the project to Apache
>> Camaieu.
>> You'll find it at http://hg.nuxeo.org/sandbox/apache-camaieu
>
> Sorry, I know this is in some interim state, but you cannot call
> something Apache X if X isn't being actively managed by the Apache
> Software Foundation, hosted on our infrastructure, and subject to
> all of our processes.  The "Apache" name can only be added after
> it is adopted by an Apache project, whether that be Jackrabbit or
> the Incubator.

Heard and understood.
I've renamed the project, following the good suggestion from this
thread, to "Chemistry".
The Apache brand isn't mentioned anymore in conjunction with this
project.

http://hg.nuxeo.org/sandbox/chemistry/

Florent

--
Florent Guillaume, Head of R&D, Nuxeo

Re: CMIS / Camaieu

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Feb 25, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Florent Guillaume wrote:
> On 25 Feb 2009, at 12:49, Angela Schreiber wrote:
>> Florent Guillaume wrote:

>>> Thanks, it's good to know.
>>> Would you say that an english-speaking German (or Swiss) hearing
>>> about "cloudmist" would have definitive negative feelings, or
>>> just that he would be amused at the double-meaning, or would not
>>> care or not notice?
>>
>> for me it doesn't sound promising at all... i thought that
>> was by intention ;)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Following this valuable input, we've renamed the project to Apache
> Camaieu.
> You'll find it at http://hg.nuxeo.org/sandbox/apache-camaieu

Sorry, I know this is in some interim state, but you cannot call
something Apache X if X isn't being actively managed by the Apache
Software Foundation, hosted on our infrastructure, and subject to
all of our processes.  The "Apache" name can only be added after
it is adopted by an Apache project, whether that be Jackrabbit or
the Incubator.

....Roy

CMIS / Camaieu

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
On 25 Feb 2009, at 12:49, Angela Schreiber wrote:
> Florent Guillaume wrote:
>> On 25 Feb 2009, at 12:16, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
>>>
>>> It's nice in English, but in German "Mist" means
>>> dung/rubbish/bullshit, which has a bit of a negative meaning ;-)
>>
>> Thanks, it's good to know.
>> Would you say that an english-speaking German (or Swiss) hearing
>> about "cloudmist" would have definitive negative feelings, or just
>> that he would be amused at the double-meaning, or would not care or
>> not notice?
>
> for me it doesn't sound promising at all... i thought that
> was by intention ;)

Thanks.

Re: Working on CMIS

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.
Florent Guillaume wrote:
> Thanks, it's good to know.
> Would you say that an english-speaking German (or Swiss)
> hearing about "cloudmist" would have definitive negative feelings, or
> just that he would be amused at the double-meaning, or would not care or
> not notice?

for me it doesn't sound promising at all... i thought that
was by intention ;)

regards
angela

Re: Working on CMIS

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
On 25 Feb 2009, at 12:16, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>
> wrote:
>> What do you guys think of "CloudMist"?
>
> It's nice in English, but in German "Mist" means
> dung/rubbish/bullshit, which has a bit of a negative meaning ;-)

Thanks, it's good to know.
Would you say that an english-speaking German (or Swiss, hi folks!)

Re: Working on CMIS

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com> wrote:
> What do you guys think of "CloudMist"?

It's nice in English, but in German "Mist" means
dung/rubbish/bullshit, which has a bit of a negative meaning ;-)

Just my 2 cents...
Alex

Re: Working on CMIS

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
On 20 Feb 2009, at 11:47, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>
> wrote:
>> I'd like to use org.apache.cmis as the package base for all the
>> cmis-*
>> bundles, does anyone foresee a problem with that?
>
> It might be better to come up with some project name for this effort,
> as I wouldn't be surprised if we at some point promoted this from the
> sandbox to an official Jackrabbit subproject.
>
> Having "org.apache.<foo>" with "Apache <Foo>" for some non-"cmis"
> value of <foo> would be better. See
> http://www.apache.org/dev/project-names.html for guidelines on
> choosing a good name.

I see.

Re: Working on CMIS

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Working on CMIS

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
FYI the Mercurial repository I'm setting up is at:
   http://hg.nuxeo.org/sandbox/apache-cmis
You can browse the first cut of the first part of the API at:
   http://hg.nuxeo.org/sandbox/apache-cmis/file/tip/cmis-api/src/main/java/org/apache/cmis
(I'm doing it in spec order for now.)

Florent

--
Florent Guillaume, Head of R&D, Nuxeo

Re: Working on CMIS

Posted by Florent Guillaume <fg...@nuxeo.com>.
Hi all,

RE: Working on CMIS

Posted by Jens Hübel <jh...@opentext.com>.
Hi Florent,

Re: Working on CMIS

Posted by Paolo Mottadelli <pa...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Florent for your interest in this topic.
I'm sure that all the people currently working on the cmis sandbox are
really keen to have new heads on the project.

IMHO, having a system (like Nuxeo) using (and contributing to) the
cmis component is an excellent catch in order to get more quality in
our work.
Hope to hear from you soon.