Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk> on 2003/11/05 15:11:20 UTC

[Woody] wd:help

Dear All,

Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not appear that the <wd:help/>
tag of the <wd:widget/> is supported by the 'woody-field-styling.xsl',
except for when it is used inside a <wd:group/>.

Would anyone object to me adding this?

I was thinking of adding handling for this to the 'woody-field-common'
template, by adding a '?' that is linked to a javascript alert
containing the text of the <wd:help/>, that sits just after the field,
like the required '*".

Alternatively, it could be done with a <div> popup.

WDYT?

regards Jeremy

Re: [Woody] wd:help

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Bruno Dumon wrote:

>On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 15:44, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>>

>>>Dear All,
>>>
>>>Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not appear that the <wd:help/> tag of the <wd:widget/> is supported by the 'woody-field-styling.xsl', except for when it is used inside a <wd:group/>.
>>>
>>>Would anyone object to me adding this?
>>>

>>Certainly not! Do it, do it ;-)
>>

>>>I was thinking of adding handling for this to the 'woody-field-common' template, by adding a '?' that is linked to a javascript alert containing the text of the <wd:help/>, that sits just after the field, like the required '*".
>>>
>>>Alternatively, it could be done with a <div> popup.
>>>

>>I would prefer this solution which would allow for markup in help, and the CalendarPopup.js in Woody [1] already contains a library for this to build the popups [2].
>>
>>Having a "?" IMO makes the page look "heavier", and I was thinking of placing a "help mode switch" in the pages. This switch (analogous to the one that appears in the title bar of some dialog on Windows) would change the mouse cursor to a "?" and display the associated help (if any) associated to clicked elements.
>>

>I'm not sure about this from a usability point of view.

I find this quite convenient on Windows, and Mac has (or used to have -
dunno in MacOS X) the equivalent with help balloons.

>> How hard would this be to do?
>>
>>[1] http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/calendarpopup/
>>[2] http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/popupwindow/
>>

>Another alternative would be to use the label of the widget as trigger to show the help.

Do you mean that clicking on the label would show the help? Normally,
clicking on a label gives focus to the associated input widget. And what
about label-less widgets such as buttons?

>Currently the wt:widget-label tag only outputs the content of the label of the widget, without any tag around it telling it is the label. I'm thinking we should maybe replace that with a wt:widget-displaydata which would effectively insert a wi:displaydata containg the label & help (&hotkey in the future), so that the XSL can react on that and put the label inside a <label> tag

Hehe, exactly my thoughts after adding support for <label> today in
page-styling.xsl...

>and also add some javascript to show the help when you hover over it. (the label could have a e.g. a slightly different color if it has help)

Hover is currently used for tooltips defined though <wd:hint>.

Sylvain

Re: [Woody] wd:help

Posted by Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>.
On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 15:44, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not appear that the <wd:help/>
> > tag of the <wd:widget/> is supported by the 'woody-field-styling.xsl',
> > except for when it is used inside a <wd:group/>.
> >
> > Would anyone object to me adding this?
>

> Certainly not! Do it, do it ;-)
>
> > I was thinking of adding handling for this to the 'woody-field-common'
> > template, by adding a '?' that is linked to a javascript alert
> > containing the text of the <wd:help/>, that sits just after the field,
> > like the required '*".
> >
> > Alternatively, it could be done with a <div> popup.
>

> I would prefer this solution which would allow for markup in help, and
> the CalendarPopup.js in Woody [1] already contains a library for this to
> build the popups [2].
>
> Having a "?" IMO makes the page look "heavier", and I was thinking of
> placing a "help mode switch" in the pages. This switch (analogous to the
> one that appears in the title bar of some dialog on Windows) would
> change the mouse cursor to a "?" and display the associated help (if
> any) associated to clicked elements.

I'm not sure about this from a usability point of view.

>  How hard would this be to do?
>
> [1] http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/calendarpopup/
> [2] http://www.mattkruse.com/javascript/popupwindow/

Another alternative would be to use the label of the widget as trigger
to show the help.

Currently the wt:widget-label tag only outputs the content of the label
of the widget, without any tag around it telling it is the label. I'm
thinking we should maybe replace that with a wt:widget-displaydata which
would effectively insert a wi:displaydata containg the label & help (&
hotkey in the future), so that the XSL can react on that and put the
label inside a <label> tag, and also add some javascript to show the

Re: [Woody] wd:help

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Wednesday, November 5, 2003, at 02:44 PM, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not appear that the <wd:help/>
>> tag of the <wd:widget/> is supported by the
>> 'woody-field-styling.xsl', except for when it is used inside a
>> <wd:group/>.
>>
>> Would anyone object to me adding this?
>

> Certainly not! Do it, do it ;-)

He He!

>> I was thinking of adding handling for this to the
>> 'woody-field-common' template, by adding a '?' that is linked to a
>> javascript alert containing the text of the <wd:help/>, that sits
>> just after the field, like the required '*".
>>
>> Alternatively, it could be done with a <div> popup.
>

> I would prefer this solution which would allow for markup in help

Markup would be good

> , and the CalendarPopup.js in Woody [1] already contains a library for
> this to build the popups [2].

OK

> Having a "?" IMO makes the page look "heavier", and I was thinking of
> placing a "help mode switch" in the pages. This switch (analogous to
> the one that appears in the title bar of some dialog on Windows) would
> change the mouse cursor to a "?" and display the associated help (if
> any) associated to clicked elements.

Nice idea .... not sure about being inspired by Windows GUI design
though :)

Would they best popup (in help-mode) when clicked, or rolled-over?

> How hard would this be to do?

Not sure ..... but it could be beyond my current DHTML knowledge, do
you know of any sites that do this?  ;)

It is something I'd like to have a go at ..... this weekend however I
will be tied up, upgrading my Macs to Panther :)

There is a CSS2 directive for changing the cursor, but have no idea how
well implemented it is across browsers.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/ui.html#cursor-props>, there is a 'help'
cursor.

I'll checkout your references to the popup stuff ....

regards Jeremy

Re: [Woody] wd:help

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Jeremy Quinn wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Correct me if I am wrong, but it does not appear that the <wd:help/>
> tag of the <wd:widget/> is supported by the 'woody-field-styling.xsl',
> except for when it is used inside a <wd:group/>.
>
> Would anyone object to me adding this?

Certainly not! Do it, do it ;-)

> I was thinking of adding handling for this to the 'woody-field-common'
> template, by adding a '?' that is linked to a javascript alert
> containing the text of the <wd:help/>, that sits just after the field,
> like the required '*".
>
> Alternatively, it could be done with a <div> popup.

I would prefer this solution which would allow for markup in help, and
the CalendarPopup.js in Woody [1] already contains a library for this to
build the popups [2].

Having a "?" IMO makes the page look "heavier", and I was thinking of
placing a "help mode switch" in the pages. This switch (analogous to the
one that appears in the title bar of some dialog on Windows) would
change the mouse cursor to a "?" and display the associated help (if
any) associated to clicked elements. How hard would this be to do?