Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2014/08/31 21:36:39 UTC

[INFO] Update default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg on Karaf 3.0.x

Hi all,

FYI, I aligned the etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg files between master
(Karaf 4.x) and Karaf 3.0.x.

Basically, the change is to move the system repo and the kar repo as
default repositories, instead of "regular" repositories.

It allows Karaf to start quicker on a fresh machine, without any
.m2/repository.

Any objection ?

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [INFO] Update default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg on Karaf 3.0.x

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
I like the change so far! Also, personally, I don't mind upgrades of things
like Pax, Aries, Felix, BND, etc., as long as they aren't huge releases
(e.g., 2.0 -> 3.0) without a good reason. This is mainly due to bugfixes
and such that have caused much pain in the past! ;)

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [INFO] Update default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg on Karaf 3.0.x

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.
+1 makes sense to me

PS. you might also want to upgrade pax-swissbox-bnd to 1.7.1 to pick up the fix for https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/PAXSB-75

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Generally I agree with the production ready default.

I would like to see the development case covered better though. So I
propose we have a build profile for karaf to create a karaf with
development settings. This will allow a karaf developer to work with a
snapshot karaf without tweaking configs.

Also as I wrote in the other mail I see big problems when using the
system repo as local repo. Did you find a way to avoid that pax url
writes into the system dir?

The ideal case for me would be that pax url caches all external bundles
in the local repository but not the bundles in the system dir. So we
would need to mark the system dir as read only but "local" to make sure
the jars are not cached. I am not sure if this is possible though.

Christian

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [INFO] Update default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg on Karaf 3.0.x

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Matt,

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
By "it's far more likely", I meant "I'm far more likely".

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [INFO] Update default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg on Karaf 3.0.x

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [INFO] Update default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg on Karaf 3.0.x

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Maybe some collaboration with Pax URL would help? I don't think many people
work on that (might even be just one or two people). Some help would be
nice I'm sure!

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [INFO] Update default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg on Karaf 3.0.x

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [INFO] Update default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg on Karaf 3.0.x

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: [INFO] Update default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg on Karaf 3.0.x

Posted by Achim Nierbeck <bc...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

I agree with all of the above.
Don't we have for the dev-mode (Karaf development) already some special
configurations, for example snapshot repos that aren't included in a
released Karaf? I think this can be done for the o.o.p.u.mvn.cfg also.

regards, Achim

--

Apache Member
Project Lead

Re: [INFO] Update default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg on Karaf 3.0.x

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: [INFO] Update default etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg on Karaf 3.0.x

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

--
Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>