Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org> on 2013/01/13 17:13:31 UTC

Questions about LUCENE-4682

Watching jira, I have seen recent activity on LUCENE-4682, and also a
few other issues that look similar.   It appears that this issue would
likely require reindexing on Solr.  Is that the case?  Is it expected to
be applied to branch_4x, and if so, will it make it into 4.1?

I'm not advocating for any particular release, just trying to keep
mental track of things that will force me to reindex my dev server.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Questions about LUCENE-4682

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Hi Shawn,

The "plan" is to hold these FST changes until 4.2: they are too risky
/ need time to bake on trunk (though so far they look OK: Jenkins
seems to be at peace).

When we do backport the changes (after 4.1 branch is cut) it will be
an index format change, however since 4.x is currently still using the
same FST format as 4.0, the changes shouldn't break any existing 4.x
indices.  Ie, the FST code even with these changes can still read an
4.0 FST just fine.

It's only when we make ANOTHER change to FSTs in 4.x without an
intervening release that indices created with unreleased Lucene will
need to be re-indexed.  But it seems likely that will happen given the
sudden flurry of improvements to FSTs!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com