Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Flavio Palumbo <f....@silmasoftware.com> on 2006/07/19 13:35:14 UTC

network server not shares access

Hi all,

I wrote a little class, derived from NsSample.java in
D:\db-derby-10.1.2.1-bin\demo\nserverdemo, that starts an embedded network
server, than an embedded client, not embedded driver but
org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver, to access the data provided by the
network server , all togheter with my application within the same jvm.

I supposed that the network server had the ability to share the data among
different applications... but this seems not to be true cause I tried to
start the ij utility to access to the same database, while my application is
running, receiving these messages :

ERROR XJ040: Failed to start database 'c:\ESQueryProd\derbyDB', see the next
exception for details.
ERROR XSDB6: Another instance of Derby may have already booted the database
C:\ESQueryProd\derbyDB.

Obviously, when I shut down my application, ij starts to run.

I testes the same behavior in a network environment :
I have a shared directory on a win 2k server with my application, and if I
start it from 2 different clients, the first runs, while the second freezes
until I shut down the first.

Now I'd like to know how can I share the data in this scenario, is there any
properties settings that allows my application to concurrentlu access the
same db ?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Flavio

PS I run with jvm 1.4.2_09 both win 2k & win xp sp2 and derby 10.1.2.1

Il presente messaggio non costituisce un impegno contrattuale tra SILMA S.r.l. ed il destinatario.
Le opinioni ivi espresse sono quelle dell'autore.
SILMA S.r.l. non assume alcuna responsabilita riguardo al contenuto del presente messaggio.
Il messaggio è destinato esclusivamente al destinatario.
Il contenuto e gli allegati sono da considerarsi di natura confidenziale

Nel caso abbiate ricevuto il presente messaggio per errore siete pregati di comunicarlo
alla casella segreteria@silmasoftware.com.

Re: network server not shares access

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.
Flavio Palumbo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I wrote a little class, derived from NsSample.java in
> D:\db-derby-10.1.2.1-bin\demo\nserverdemo, that starts an embedded network
> server, than an embedded client, not embedded driver but
> org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver, to access the data provided by the
> network server , all togheter with my application within the same jvm.
>
> I supposed that the network server had the ability to share the data among
> different applications... but this seems not to be true cause I tried to
> start the ij utility to access to the same database, while my application is
> running, receiving these messages :
>
> ERROR XJ040: Failed to start database 'c:\ESQueryProd\derbyDB', see the next
> exception for details.
> ERROR XSDB6: Another instance of Derby may have already booted the database
> C:\ESQueryProd\derbyDB.
>
> Obviously, when I shut down my application, ij starts to run.
>
> I testes the same behavior in a network environment :
> I have a shared directory on a win 2k server with my application, and if I
> start it from 2 different clients, the first runs, while the second freezes
> until I shut down the first.
>
> Now I'd like to know how can I share the data in this scenario, is there any
> properties settings that allows my application to concurrentlu access the
> same db ?
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Flavio
>
> PS I run with jvm 1.4.2_09 both win 2k & win xp sp2 and derby 10.1.2.1

> Il presente messaggio non costituisce un impegno contrattuale tra SILMA S.r.l. ed il destinatario.
> Le opinioni ivi espresse sono quelle dell'autore.
> SILMA S.r.l. non assume alcuna responsabilita riguardo al contenuto del presente messaggio.
> Il messaggio è destinato esclusivamente al destinatario.
> Il contenuto e gli allegati sono da considerarsi di natura confidenziale
>
> Nel caso abbiate ricevuto il presente messaggio per errore siete pregati di comunicarlo
> alla casella segreteria@silmasoftware.com.

Hi Flavio -
I suspect that IJ is loading the embedded driver rather than the client
driver.  Be sure your connection URL in IJ contains the client driver
host:port information.  For example, if your application starts network
server on the manchine called MYCPU and listening on port 1234 you would
use the following connection command:

ij> connect 'jdbc:derby://MYCPU:1234/c:\ESQueryProd\derbyDB';

Please let me know if this solves your problem.