Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/01/02 11:35:42 UTC

Re: Sorting user defined MR counters.

On 29 December 2012 23:32, Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had this 'itch' with Hadoop that it is hard to sort the counters in a
> "nice" way.
> Now the current trunk sorts the framework counters in such a way that they
> follow the flow quite nicely. For the generic counters (i.e. user code
> counters) this is not possible.
>
> I've been playing around these last few days to see if I can extend the API
> so I can create custom counters from my MR code and have the framework
> report them in the sorting order I defined that is useful  for my specific
> application.
>
> I currently have a working version of this idea here so I'm wondering ...
>
> Is this something you would like to have in the main source tree? From my
> point of view this is very generic and reusable by many projects.
>
> If you say 'yes' then I'll simply create a Jira for this and submit the
> patch.
>
> In addition I have a question about the content of such a patch.
> In some source files I'll be changing there are numerous very basic
> warnings from both the Java compiler, findbugs and checkstyle.
> With simple things I mean silly things "unused imports", "an interface that
> has directives like private and public", "first line of javadoc must end
> with '.'", "unused SuppressWarnings directives" .

yes, the Java codebase is a bit messy. It's the price of
review-then-commit; it adds overhead to do cleanups as you go along,
although doing a code cleanup is something that many people would
appreciate.

> I my normal job I commit a source file at least  "just as clean" as what I
> got to start with but preferably I make it "cleaner". That way a warning is
> something you look at instead of "part of the landslide" which people tend
> to ignore.
>
> Now for submitting changes for Hadoop: Is it desirable that I fix these in
> my change set or should I leave these as-is to avoid "obfuscating" the
> changes that are relevant to the Jira at hand?

I recommend a cleanup first -that's likely to go in without any argument.
Your patch with the new features would be a diff against the clean, so have
less changes to be reviewed.

Re: Sorting user defined MR counters.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
On 7 January 2013 15:57, Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> > Now for submitting changes for Hadoop: Is it desirable that I fix these
> in
> > > my change set or should I leave these as-is to avoid "obfuscating" the
> > > changes that are relevant to the Jira at hand?
> > >

> > I recommend a cleanup first -that's likely to go in without any argument.
> > Your patch with the new features would be a diff against the clean, so
> have
> > less changes to be reviewed.
> >

> Ok, I'll have a look what I can do.
> Should I focus on fixing problems within the entire code base or limit my
> changes to a limited set of subprojects (i.e. only the mapreduce ones) ?
>
> --

I'd pick something self contained -cross-project changes are much harder to
get reviewed and in-

Re: Sorting user defined MR counters.

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
Hi Steve,

> Now for submitting changes for Hadoop: Is it desirable that I fix these in
> > my change set or should I leave these as-is to avoid "obfuscating" the
> > changes that are relevant to the Jira at hand?
> >

> I recommend a cleanup first -that's likely to go in without any argument.
> Your patch with the new features would be a diff against the clean, so have
> less changes to be reviewed.

Ok, I'll have a look what I can do.
Should I focus on fixing problems within the entire code base or limit my
changes to a limited set of subprojects (i.e. only the mapreduce ones) ?

Niels Basjes