Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Greg Cottman <gr...@quest.com> on 2009/08/18 10:30:19 UTC

REST or Stargate?

I'm still a little confused by 0.20.0 releasing both a rewrite of the REST interface and giving Stargate contrib status as part of the release.  This seems like having your REST *and* eating it too!  Presumably if one of these implementations gains enough momentum it would lead to the deprecation of the other.

It seems like the Stargate API is more comprehensive, but having said that, I would usually go for core functionality over a contribution if they both met my requirements.  I don't want to invest code and time in one to see it fall by the wayside over the next few releases.

Is anyone backing one of these to become the preferred method of serving REST from HBase in the near future?

Cheers,
Greg.

Re: REST or Stargate?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I back Stargate. It is not going away.

   - Andy

________________________________

Re: REST or Stargate?

Posted by stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Greg Cottman <gr...@quest.com>wrote:

> I'm still a little confused by 0.20.0 releasing both a rewrite of the REST
> interface and giving Stargate contrib status as part of the release.  This
> seems like having your REST *and* eating it too!  Presumably if one of these
> implementations gains enough momentum it would lead to the deprecation of
> the other.

Sorry about that.

Yes, idea is as you state it.  One will 'win' and the other will be
deprecated.

> It seems like the Stargate API is more comprehensive, but having said that,
> I would usually go for core functionality over a contribution if they both
> met my requirements.  I don't want to invest code and time in one to see it
> fall by the wayside over the next few releases.
>
> Is anyone backing one of these to become the preferred method of serving
> REST from HBase in the near future?

If I were you, apart from a feature perspective, I'd go w/ Stargate because
its backed by a committer who has vowed to keep it up (apurtell).  (Of note,
the author of the REST rewrite, Brian Beggs, contributed to Stargate).  I
wouldn't hold the fact that its 'contrib' against it.  With 0.20.0, we've
started in on our project to clean core of all but 'core' artifacts (If the
'core' REST were to prevail, it would be moved to contrib eventually also).

That said, we've been using the rewritten REST here in house and its working
well for us.

St.Ack