Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Koen Janssens <ko...@alcatel.be> on 2001/11/06 18:59:51 UTC

Category and Appenders

Hello all,

I have a question regarding  appender additivity and prioritized categories.

I have a root category that is configured to write error messages to an error
file. Another category "foo.bar" writes all messages to standard out. But since
"foo.bar" inherits from the root category, all messages logged towards
"foo.bar" are also written in the error log file, even the debug messages. Is
this normal behavior ?? I would suspect that only error messages that are
logged to "foo.bar "would end up in the log file as well as on standard out.

 A snippet of my log4j.xml file

<category name="foo.bar">
  <priority value="debug" />
  <appender-ref ref="STDOUT"/>