Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/03 02:47:30 UTC

blogs

It might be a good idea to have links to our blogs (provided we blog about
the features in openejb). For me, to read the blogs of the experts of a
project gives me an idea about what features the experts are excited about
and leads me to "register" it or try it out. Thoughts?

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: blogs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Aug 4, 2008, at 9:33 AM, Karan Malhi wrote:

> I love this idea. This will definitely solve the purpose. Let me
> know what I
> can do to implement something like this. I do not have much clue
> about this
> feeds thingy :)

That makes two of us.  So definitely don't wait on me, I have no clear
idea how to pull this off either :)

-David

Re: blogs

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

> Alternatively we can use the confluence rss macro and have it "dress" the
> feed as html.

Good idea

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: blogs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Aug 4, 2008, at 5:33 PM, Karan Malhi wrote:

> We can add our custom css and there are templates available for html
> etc
> which we could modify to suit our layout for the generated html file.

Alternatively we can use the confluence rss macro and have it "dress"
the feed as html.

> 1. We would need to run the python script manually, or we can setup
> a cron
> job on minotaur. Question is , can we setup a cron on minotaur, are
> there
> any restrictions you know of

Cron is fine.  Static generation is usually preferred to dynamic pages.

> 2. We would also need to download and install (I could do it in my
> home
> directory on minotaur) the planetplanet python script. Its used on
> planetapache, so I am thinking installing it in my home on minotaur
> would be
> okay. Is that right?

Sure, you can just put the resulting rss.xml file somewhere in /www/
openejb.apache.org/

> 3. Here is the licensing for Jena,
> http://jena.sourceforge.net/license.html. Would I be allowed to
> download and use Jena on minotaur?

It's really only on shipping/redistributing software that we have to
worry about details of open source licenses.  Simply using something
is totally fine.

> I probably should know well about the above questions (specially
> licensing
> stuff), but am always a little scared of licensing things as I do not
> understand them very well (lack of patience probably).

Comes with time :)

-David

Re: blogs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Aug 4, 2008, at 7:33 PM, Karan Malhi wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> SPARQL (Query language) is pretty rich and I am sure it will allow
>> us to
>> query by tags. Tag info is part of the atom feed like so (see the
>> term
>> attribute)
>>
> Wouldnt work on RDF though. We'll see as we know more about this
> thing :)

At the very least people using atom feeds can use tags and all others
have to put OpenEJB in the title.

-David

Re: blogs

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: blogs

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
SPARQL (Query language) is pretty rich and I am sure it will allow us to
query by tags. Tag info is part of the atom feed like so (see the term
attribute)

<category scheme='http://www.blogger.com/atom/ns#' term='jpa'/>

The approach is to download the "new feeds" every day and archive them, then
use SPARQL to find the feeds we need (tagged with OpenEjb) and then
aggregate content. This is not optimum in that "we should not download what
we do not need", but I do not know any other way right now. Since there wont
be a flurry of blogs, this approach would not be very heavy and atleast can
get the job done.

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: blogs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: blogs

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
http://code.google.com/apis/feedburner/api_reference.html

I am also pretty close with a planetapache.org style aggregation

Did some research and was able to find the aggregator software for it. It
www.planetplanet.org . Its written in python, but is very easy to use. We
can then use Jena (A java library - http://jena.sourceforge.net) to archive
our blogs and then search for the ones which have openejb in the title. We
just need to update the config.ini for it and add our blogs to it. We can
add our custom css and there are templates available for html etc which we
could modify to suit our layout for the generated html file.

Some questions however:-

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: blogs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: blogs

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: blogs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: blogs

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: blogs

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: blogs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Aug 4, 2008, at 6:54 AM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:

> Sorry but want to make sure that I understand you correctly. Do u mean
> to use that blog aggregator or we should have one of our own  ?

Both would be great.

> Cause I am not sure how to show the OpenEJB's aggregated blog entries
> on our confluence.

Me either.

-David

Re: blogs

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
Replied to both vote threads to mark them as *No longer valid voting
threads*. Hope it is not a mistake too :D

--
Thanks
- Mohammad Nour

Re: blogs

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Aug 4, 2008, at 9:08 AM, Karan Malhi wrote:

> If you look at the confluence docs , you can filter blogs by labels/
> tags. I
> cant seem to find the exact url, but I was looking into the exact
> same thing
> a couple of days back.

Really, that could be just what we need.

> I think thats why David said that -- blog posts
> should be tagged with "OpenEJB".

Right.

-David

Re: blogs

Posted by Karan Malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
Mohammad,

If you look at the confluence docs , you can filter blogs by labels/tags. I
cant seem to find the exact url, but I was looking into the exact same thing
a couple of days back. I think thats why David said that -- blog posts

--
Karan Singh Malhi

Re: blogs

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.