Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Bill Mitchell <vo...@attglobal.net> on 2011/08/23 22:50:22 UTC

Maximum size of query to Lucene 2.4.1

I have an application using Hibernate Search 3.1.1-GA with Lucene 2.4.1 (via
lucene-snowball-2.4.1.jar ) on the backend.

Our query terms have gotten fairly lengthy (but not complex), consisting of
queries such as
*      "FOOBAR TERM" AND NOT (FOOBAZ OR FOOBLA OR JUNK)*

We've gone up to queries of this form with upwards of 2,500 characters.

Reading through listserv archives, I saw a posting saying that somebody had
done a queries with length 1meg, but just to be safe I am hoping for any
words of guidance.

(And, yes, we have on our roadmap to upgrade to newer libraries, to be
sure!)

regards
Bill