Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com> on 2005/11/14 01:29:21 UTC

[m2] xdoclet and ear plugin - how to generate .war extension (not .jar)

Has anyone had success on getting xdoclet to play nicely with the ear
plugin? I have a project set up that builds ejb then war and then ear
for both of them.

----project
         ----ejb (produces .jar)
         ----war (produces .jar - perhaps should produce .war)
         ----ear (looks for .war - perhaps should look for .jar)

The problem I'm having is that war (xdoclet/webdoclet) produces an
artifact with a .jar extension whereas the ear plugin looks for an
artifact with a .war extension. One idea I had was to configure the
jar plugin to generate an extension of my choosing for my xdoclet pom
but it looks as if .jar is hardcoded there.

<crosses fingers that this can be solved in under 20 keystrokes>

Thanks
AW

Re: [m2] xdoclet and ear plugin - how to generate .war extension (not .jar)

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Ashley,

I understand what your are trying to achieve. The thing is, changing the
extension is not enough. Invoking such goals as 'install, deploy' needs your
project to be properly configured. Typically, even if you had the ability to
change the extension, the archive would still be deployed as a simple Jar
file and not a web archive.

Maybe I am totally missing your point, integration with XDoclet is not yet
perfect. According to you, using webXml does not make sense because XDoclet
already registered it as a resource folder, right?

Thanks,
Stéphane

On 11/19/05, Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com> wrote:

> I'm sure you have some wisdom to pass onto me but can't work out
> the point you are making. Am I using the plugin configs inefficiently
> and if so do you have an example for me?
>
> I (think) we're in agreement that the war plugin does more than file
> extension which has been the very problem for me.
>
> Hence my desire to use something that just does compression -
> ie the jar plugin, albeit with an extension of my choosing.
>

> On 19 Nov 2005, at 18:16, Stephane Nicoll wrote:
>
> > Ashley,
> >
> > We want to avoid that. Using the war plugin is not only a matter of
> > file
> > extension. Your project needs to be defined properly.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Stéphane
> >
> > On 11/19/05, Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Stéphane, missed you response until now.
> >>
> >> webXml property works so first of all I'm very pleased about that.
> >>
> >> However this is a little bit hacky as I'm just conning the war plugin
> >> to copy something
> >> that is already in the right place for copying anyway.
> >>
> >> The setting I was suggesting to was simply the ability to change the
> >> file extension,
> >> not to add any associated features. The user would simple add the
> >> following
> >> to the jar plugin configuration:
> >>
> >> <ext>war<ext> (or zip or any text string the user wants)
> >>
> >> and that would be that.
> >>
> >> Anyway thanks for your solution that keeps my project ticking
> >> along ;)
> >>
> >> AW

> > --
> > .::You're welcome ::.

.::You're welcome ::.

Re: [m2] xdoclet and ear plugin - how to generate .war extension (not .jar)

Posted by Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Ashley,

We want to avoid that. Using the war plugin is not only a matter of file
extension. Your project needs to be defined properly.

Thanks,
Stéphane

On 11/19/05, Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi Stéphane, missed you response until now.
>
> webXml property works so first of all I'm very pleased about that.
>
> However this is a little bit hacky as I'm just conning the war plugin
> to copy something
> that is already in the right place for copying anyway.
>
> The setting I was suggesting to was simply the ability to change the
> file extension,
> not to add any associated features. The user would simple add the
> following
> to the jar plugin configuration:
>
> <ext>war<ext> (or zip or any text string the user wants)
>
> and that would be that.
>
> Anyway thanks for your solution that keeps my project ticking along ;)
>
> AW
>
> On 15 Nov 2005, at 10:20, Stephane Nicoll wrote:
>
> > Well, if you are generating a WAR artifact, you *have to* use war
> > packaging.
> > If we provide the ability to use the JAR plugin for that, we would
> > have a
> > big messy Jar plugin with each and every features (war, ejb, rar,
> > etc).
> >
> > If you are using XDoclet, that's fine, check the documentation of
> > the war
> > plugin and configure it properly:
> > http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/ (see webXml
> > configuration
> > item).
> >
> > Hope it helps,
> > Stéphane
> >

> > On 11/14/05, Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes the ear plugin seems to be doing its job fine.
> >> However I need a way to make the web project generate a file with
> >> a .war extension
> >> so that it will be found ok.
> >>
> >> I can't add the following tag:
> >>
> >> <packaging>war</packaging>
> >>
> >> because this makes the war behaviour kick in and I get the following
> >> error:
> >>
> >> ..../WEB-INF/web.xml does not exist.
> >>
> >> And of course I'm not providing one because I want xdoclet to
> >> generate it for me.
> >>
> >> I think the ideal solution would be to configure the maven-jar-plugin
> >> to use a
> >> different extension, but I'd have to branch the code on my machine
> >> and...
> >>
> >> ... I really wouldn't want to do that!!
> >>
> >> Has anyone else come up against this problem?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> - AW

> > --
> > .::You're welcome ::.

.::You're welcome ::.

Re: [m2] xdoclet and ear plugin - how to generate .war extension (not .jar)

Posted by Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com>.

Posted by Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com>.
Hi Marcel,

Sorry I missed your response earlier, this list is going into overdrive!

Just in case i haven't framed my problem correctly: I'm using the
xdoclet plugin to
generate the descriptors and the source code under the target/
directory. So far
so good.

However the next step is to package these generated files into a war
file and so
I changed the packaging to 'war'. But the corresponding plugin
demands the existence
of a web.xml file under the src/ tree (ie not generated) otherwise it
will fail thus stopping
my build in its tracks.

In other words I want xdoclet to handle all of my war/ejb generation
needs and the only
thing I need at the packaging stage is a .war extension.

I suppose one option is to persuade xdoclet to generate to files
under src/ and not target/
but this feels wrong - for example mvn clean wouldn't get rid of
generated code then.

 From memory here is my xdoclet snippet - not sure it helps because
as I mentioned above
I believe the problem is at the packaging stage, not generate-sources.

             <configuration>
               <task>
                 <ejbdoclet>
                   <fileset includes="**/*Servlet.java"/>
                   <deploymentdescriptor/>
                   <jbosswebxml contextroot="/trading" version="4.0"/>
                 </ejbdoclet>
               </task>
             </configuration>

Thanks
- Ashley

Posted by Marcel Dullaart <md...@epo.org>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Well, if you are generating a WAR artifact, you *have to* use war packaging.
If we provide the ability to use the JAR plugin for that, we would have a
big messy Jar plugin with each and every features (war, ejb, rar, etc).

If you are using XDoclet, that's fine, check the documentation of the war
plugin and configure it properly:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/ (see webXml configuration
item).

Hope it helps,
Stéphane

On 11/14/05, Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com> wrote:

> Yes the ear plugin seems to be doing its job fine.
> However I need a way to make the web project generate a file with
> a .war extension
> so that it will be found ok.
>
> I can't add the following tag:
>
> <packaging>war</packaging>
>
> because this makes the war behaviour kick in and I get the following
> error:
>
> ..../WEB-INF/web.xml does not exist.
>
> And of course I'm not providing one because I want xdoclet to
> generate it for me.
>
> I think the ideal solution would be to configure the maven-jar-plugin
> to use a
> different extension, but I'd have to branch the code on my machine
> and...
>
> ... I really wouldn't want to do that!!
>
> Has anyone else come up against this problem?
>
> Thanks
> - AW
>

> On 14 Nov 2005, at 12:29, Stephane Nicoll wrote:
>
> > Well, your war project should produce a war file. Is the packaging
> > of your
> > war project set to war? I am not sure it is related to the EAR plugin.
> >
> > Hope it helps,
> > Stéphane
> >
> > On 11/14/05, Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Has anyone had success on getting xdoclet to play nicely with the ear
> >> plugin? I have a project set up that builds ejb then war and then ear
> >> for both of them.
> >>
> >> ----project
> >> ----ejb (produces .jar)
> >> ----war (produces .jar - perhaps should produce .war)
> >> ----ear (looks for .war - perhaps should look for .jar)
> >>
> >> The problem I'm having is that war (xdoclet/webdoclet) produces an
> >> artifact with a .jar extension whereas the ear plugin looks for an
> >> artifact with a .war extension. One idea I had was to configure the
> >> jar plugin to generate an extension of my choosing for my xdoclet pom
> >> but it looks as if .jar is hardcoded there.
> >>
> >> <crosses fingers that this can be solved in under 20 keystrokes>
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> AW

> > --
> > .::You're welcome ::.

.::You're welcome ::.

Re: [m2] xdoclet and ear plugin - how to generate .war extension (not .jar)

Posted by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Can't you hook up xdoclet to kick in earlier than the error would occur?

Posted by Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
Well, your war project should produce a war file. Is the packaging of your
war project set to war? I am not sure it is related to the EAR plugin.

Hope it helps,
Stéphane

On 11/14/05, Ashley Williams <ag...@mac.com> wrote:

> Has anyone had success on getting xdoclet to play nicely with the ear
> plugin? I have a project set up that builds ejb then war and then ear
> for both of them.
>
> ----project
> ----ejb (produces .jar)
> ----war (produces .jar - perhaps should produce .war)
> ----ear (looks for .war - perhaps should look for .jar)
>
> The problem I'm having is that war (xdoclet/webdoclet) produces an
> artifact with a .jar extension whereas the ear plugin looks for an
> artifact with a .war extension. One idea I had was to configure the
> jar plugin to generate an extension of my choosing for my xdoclet pom
> but it looks as if .jar is hardcoded there.
>
> <crosses fingers that this can be solved in under 20 keystrokes>
>
> Thanks
> AW

.::You're welcome ::.