Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by gm41lu53r <gm...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/17 17:40:36 UTC

IPTC indexing for morons

Hi,

Can you provide me with more information on how to do IPTC news indexing
with Stanbol?

Regards,
Scott

Re: IPTC indexing for morons

Posted by Rupert Westenthaler <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Scott,

You can find an index for IPTC at [1]. This index is about 2 years
old. Some Years ago I also sent a mail about IPTC indexing to the
stanbol mailing list [2].

Configuring an EntityLinking Chain with IPTC will definitely work.
However typically it is not so useful. The reason for that is that
news do mention Entities (politicians, soccer players, places, cities,
organizations, ...) and the IPTC thesaurus consists categories such as
politic, soccer ... So for Entity linking you will need to use a
controlled Vocabulary containing such entities (e.g. dbpedia or a
custom vocabulary).

IPTC is much better suited for Document Classification.  For that you
can use the topic classification engine as described in [3]. You will
need to have pre-classified news articles to train the engine.

best
Rupert

[1] http://dev.iks-project.eu/downloads/stanbol-indices/iptc/
[2] http://markmail.org/message/rgwug74s3u6olrby