Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Craig Berry <Cr...@portblue.com> on 2008/01/15 18:52:16 UTC

Scope of regex match variables?

I have a highly dynamic web application which I need to load test.  My
plan was to have a single-user thread group "explore" the app, using
regex matchers to set variables for various ID values which will be used
as parameters to requests during load testing.  Then the load test, in a
different thread group with multiple users, would run, using the match
result variables from the first thread group to build request strings.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like variables set in the first thread
group are visible in the second thread group, which prevents this plan
from working.

Is there a way to make match results globally visible?  Or is there a
better way to achieve my goal?

--
Craig Berry
Principal Architect, PortBlue Corporation

> Variables are designed to be per-thread so threads can have their own
> variables.
> You could save the data as properties, which are global.

Thanks, that may be just what I need.

Re: Scope of regex match variables?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 15/01/2008, Craig Berry <Cr...@portblue.com> wrote:
> I have a highly dynamic web application which I need to load test.  My
> plan was to have a single-user thread group "explore" the app, using
> regex matchers to set variables for various ID values which will be used
> as parameters to requests during load testing.  Then the load test, in a
> different thread group with multiple users, would run, using the match
> result variables from the first thread group to build request strings.
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like variables set in the first thread
> group are visible in the second thread group, which prevents this plan
> from working.

Variables are designed to be per-thread so threads can have their own variables.

> Is there a way to make match results globally visible?  Or is there a

You could save the data as properties, which are global.

Use http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/functions.html#__setProperty
or perhaps one of the BeanShell elements.