Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bart van Kuik <b....@sron.nl> on 2006/04/26 07:59:53 UTC

Subversion revision numbers

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding how revision numbers work. See
the cut/paste from my xterm below (the current directory is my working
copy):

$ svn commit -m "blah"
<snip>
$ svnversion .
387:388
$ svn status
?      Config.h.r350
?      Config.h.mine
?      Config.h.r363
$ rm Config.h.*      # I remove the offending files
$ svn status
$ svnversion .
387:388
$ svn update
At revision 388.
$ svnversion .
388

My questions:
- When I do an svnversion for the second time, it returns a range,
387:388. What does this mean? That I'm "between" revisions 387 and 388?
Can somebody give a more precise definition?
- Why did I have to do an update before "svnversion" would give me
"388"? After "svn status", my working copy should already be at "388",
rigth?

Thanks!
Bart

Re: Subversion revision numbers

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.
Bart van Kuik wrote:

>My questions:
>- When I do an svnversion for the second time, it returns a range,
>387:388. What does this mean? That I'm "between" revisions 387 and 388?
>Can somebody give a more precise definition?
>- Why did I have to do an update before "svnversion" would give me
>"388"? After "svn status", my working copy should already be at "388",
>rigth?

A commit does not do an update.  What you have is a mixed revision
working copy.  The files that you committed are at r388, but the rest of
the working copy is still at r387, until you do the next update.  After
the update, all files are guaranteed to be current at r388.

--
Sly

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: Subversion revision numbers

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Apr 26, 2006, at 09:59, Bart van Kuik wrote:

> $ svn commit -m "blah"
> <snip>
> $ svnversion .
> 387:388
> $ svn status
> ?      Config.h.r350
> ?      Config.h.mine
> ?      Config.h.r363
> $ rm Config.h.*      # I remove the offending files
> $ svn status
> $ svnversion .
> 387:388
> $ svn update
> At revision 388.
> $ svnversion .
> 388
>
> My questions:
> - When I do an svnversion for the second time, it returns a range,
> 387:388. What does this mean? That I'm "between" revisions 387 and
> 388? Can somebody give a more precise definition?

It means that of all the items in your working copy, the one with the
lowest revision is from revision 387, and the highest is from r388.

> - Why did I have to do an update before "svnversion" would give me
> "388"? After "svn status", my working copy should already be at
> "388", rigth?

Before the update, you had a mixed-revision working copy.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch02s03.html#svn-ch-2-sect-3.4

By the way, you usually don't need to do things like "rm Config.h.*";
usually you'd resolve the conflict by whatever means, and then inform
Subversion that you did this with "svn resolved Config.h" and it'll
delete the other files for you.