Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Austin Gonyou <au...@coremetrics.com> on 2003/04/29 22:43:12 UTC

mod_jk stickyness....take two!

Recently I asked(pleaded?) for some information regarding mod_jk's
stickyness. In the context of that answer it seems that only Apache 2.0
and the worker MPM are capable of mod_jk stickyness.

I recently saw this in the CHANGES.txt for mod_jk and would like someone
to let me know if this applies to Apache 2.0 still, or is this global?
(i.e. prefork and worker MPMs on Apache 2.x, and works on Apache 1.x
also)

<cvslog>
Revision 1.9 / (view) - annotate - [select for diffs] , Thu Jan 2
17:12:55 2003 UTC (3 months, 3 weeks ago) by glenn
Branch: MAIN
CVS Tags: coyote_10, TOMCAT_4_1_24, TOMCAT_4_1_23, TOMCAT_4_1_22,
TOMCAT_4_1_21, TOMCAT_4_1_20, TOMCAT_4_1_19
Changes since 1.8: +4 -1 lines
Diff to previous 1.8 (colored)
Add new lb property sticky_session.  If set to 0, requests with session
id's do not have to be routed back to the same Tomcat worker.  This is
to support the new Tomcat Session Manager code which supports persistance
of session data across multiple Tomcat instances, such as JavaGroup's.
</cvslog>

If anyone could answer this pretty quickly, it'd help me know the path I
must take for our migration. Thanks.

--
Austin Gonyou <au...@coremetrics.com>
Coremetrics, Inc.

Re: mod_jk stickyness....take two!

Posted by Charles So <ch...@mac.com>.
Hi Bill, I am investigating how to do true-balancing in tomcat/apache 1.

Here is what I used to do with IBM Websphere app server in this respect:

System config:
1) 2 s/w load balancer	(2 machines, only 1 is active; the other standby)
2) 2 web servers/2 app servers		(2 machines)
3) 2 db server			(2 machines)

The load balancer calls a java program on both web/app servers and the
program calculates on-the-fly the loading of the system. The load
balancer (LB) would send the HTTP request to the less-loaded system.

The app server would then retrieves the session from the DB and perform
its work

I come across the persistent mgr in Tomcat which suppose to be able to
store sessions in files or via JDBC. It is still in beta stage.

I am wondering how you define true-loadbalancing.. can you share
information with me?

I hope to have similar config running under TC4, MySQL, Apache 1. Any
opinions?

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Posted by Austin Gonyou <au...@coremetrics.com>.

Posted by Filip Hanik <ma...@filip.net>.