Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com> on 2004/02/02 22:55:24 UTC

Re: License updates needed

Leo Simons wrote:

> I did a licensing audit. There's some things needing doing:
>
> * The Java sources should be updated with the new ASL 2.0 header;
> * the new ASL 2.0 license should be added to gump cvs along with a
>   NOTICE file;
> * many of the python sourcefiles should get the new ASL 2.0
>   license header in place of no header existing at all, some need
>   the 1.1 license replaced with the 2.0 license;
> * the other (shell) script files probably need the header added as well;
> * I'm not sure whether the xsl and xml files need the header.

Adam Jack has prepared a *python* script to update source code with
license headers and I have been working on it this evening
because I have volunteered to do the job for ant. The file is in the
committers cvs repository (did not know this one before) under the
relicense directory.

Cheers,

Antoine

Re: License updates needed

Posted by Adam Jack <aj...@TrySybase.com>.
> I have changed the script relicense/relicense.py so that the *first*
> original copyright year is retained.
> The last year will always be 2004 (or 2005 if someone runs the script
> next year, ...)
>
> example
> original :
> Copyright (c) 1999 2001-2002 The Apache Software Foundation
>
> output :
> Copyright 1999-2004 The Apache Software Foundation
>

> As you mentioned in your previous email, this script handles currently
> only java files.

Thanks, I couldn't get in to CVS last night, but I wrote some similar regexp
code (only to less flexible). You beat me to it, and did better. ;-)

When I was tinkering I thought the regexp ought allow the (c) to be optional
(I had [cC] for case insensitive, but who knows), and allow multiple spaces,
and allow a date range e.g. 2000-2003.
    Copyright\s+(\(c\)\s)?(\d\d\d\d(\s?-\s?\d\d\d\d))

I can't test this, this morning, so I won't check it in -- just post it
here. The trouble with the optional (c) is that the group number for the
date range could vary, I believe.

Thanks for working on this.

regards,

Adam

Re: License updates needed

Posted by Adam Jack <aj...@TrySybase.com>.

Re: License updates needed

Posted by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:
>

>>Leo Simons wrote:
>>

>>>I did a licensing audit. There's some things needing doing:
>>>
>>>* The Java sources should be updated with the new ASL 2.0 header;
>>>* the new ASL 2.0 license should be added to gump cvs along with a
>>>  NOTICE file;
>>>* many of the python sourcefiles should get the new ASL 2.0
>>>  license header in place of no header existing at all, some need
>>>  the 1.1 license replaced with the 2.0 license;
>>>* the other (shell) script files probably need the header added as well;
>>>* I'm not sure whether the xsl and xml files need the header.
>>>

>>Adam Jack has prepared a *python* script to update source code with
>>license headers and I have been working on it this evening
>>because I have volunteered to do the job for ant. The file is in the
>>committers cvs repository (did not know this one before) under the
>>relicense directory.
>>

>Unless it's been fixed since he first mentioned it, the problem with this
>script is that it does not retain the original copyright years, but
>overwrites them. IANAL, but many, many years of experience have taught me
>that retaining the original years is very important. So I'd recommend
>against using the script unless / until it can handle this.
>
>(Yes, I know committers@ isn't supposed to be used for this kind of thing,
>but the message to which I'm replying went there, and I want to make sure
>the same people are aware of the issue. Sorry.)
>
>--
>Martin Cooper

Hi Martin,

Re: License updates needed

Posted by Antoine Lévy-Lambert <an...@antbuild.com>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Antoine Lévy-Lambert wrote:
>

>>Leo Simons wrote:
>>

>>>I did a licensing audit. There's some things needing doing:
>>>
>>>* The Java sources should be updated with the new ASL 2.0 header;
>>>* the new ASL 2.0 license should be added to gump cvs along with a
>>>  NOTICE file;
>>>* many of the python sourcefiles should get the new ASL 2.0
>>>  license header in place of no header existing at all, some need
>>>  the 1.1 license replaced with the 2.0 license;
>>>* the other (shell) script files probably need the header added as well;
>>>* I'm not sure whether the xsl and xml files need the header.
>>>

>>Adam Jack has prepared a *python* script to update source code with
>>license headers and I have been working on it this evening
>>because I have volunteered to do the job for ant. The file is in the
>>committers cvs repository (did not know this one before) under the
>>relicense directory.
>>

>Unless it's been fixed since he first mentioned it, the problem with this
>script is that it does not retain the original copyright years, but
>overwrites them. IANAL, but many, many years of experience have taught me
>that retaining the original years is very important. So I'd recommend
>against using the script unless / until it can handle this.
>
>(Yes, I know committers@ isn't supposed to be used for this kind of thing,
>but the message to which I'm replying went there, and I want to make sure
>the same people are aware of the issue. Sorry.)
>
>--
>Martin Cooper

Hi Martin,

Re: License updates needed