Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Benjamin Hindman <be...@gmail.com> on 2014/08/18 17:47:54 UTC

updating website copy

I believe it's high time to update the our website with some new copy (what
we have presently hasn't been updated for a while), and I wanted to reach
out to you for feedback in the hopes of making some improvements before
MesosCon (and my talk!).

While I've always felt the most apt description for Mesos was as a "kernel"
in order to emphasize the power of the primitives for building new
distributed systems, in the earliest days I tended on the conservative side
with my choice of language as I felt it was easier for folks to grasp Mesos.

But I feel like our project is at a level of maturity where that is less of
a concern, and my gut is that we should really embrace the kernel messaging
in order to leave folks with the right first impressions about the
technology, especially with respect to what it facilitates today and what
we hope it will facilitate tomorrow.

I've pasted some new copy below that I'd love feedback on. We haven't
really done much of a review process for the website in the past, but I
thought I'd share this more widely in order to get any feedback before
making any updates.

Looking forward to seeing many of you at MesosCon this week!

Headline:

Program against your datacenter like it’s a single pool of resources.

Subhead:

Apache Mesos abstracts CPU, memory, storage, and other compute resources
away from machines (physical or virtual), enabling fault-tolerant and
elastic distributed systems to easily be built and run effectively.

Distributed Systems Kernel

Mesos is a distributed systems kernel built using the same principles as
the Linux kernel, only at a different level of abstraction. The Mesos
kernel runs on every machine and provides applications (e.g., Hadoop,
Spark, Kafka, Elastic Search) with API’s for resource management and
scheduling across entire datacenter and cloud environments.

Re: updating website copy

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
feedback inline, with my marketing cap on =8^)

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant
 Big Data Open Source Security LLC
 http://www.stealth.ly

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Benjamin Hindman <
benjamin.hindman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe it's high time to update the our website with some new copy (what
> we have presently hasn't been updated for a while), and I wanted to reach
> out to you for feedback in the hopes of making some improvements before
> MesosCon (and my talk!).
>
> While I've always felt the most apt description for Mesos was as a "kernel"
> in order to emphasize the power of the primitives for building new
> distributed systems, in the earliest days I tended on the conservative side
> with my choice of language as I felt it was easier for folks to grasp
> Mesos.
>
> But I feel like our project is at a level of maturity where that is less of
> a concern, and my gut is that we should really embrace the kernel messaging
> in order to leave folks with the right first impressions about the
> technology, especially with respect to what it facilitates today and what
> we hope it will facilitate tomorrow.

agreed, this is what I have seen people latch onto when they get that "ah
ha" moment.

> I've pasted some new copy below that I'd love feedback on. We haven't
> really done much of a review process for the website in the past, but I
> thought I'd share this more widely in order to get any feedback before
> making any updates.
>
> Looking forward to seeing many of you at MesosCon this week!

> Headline:
>
> Program against your datacenter like it’s a single pool of resources.

I think if we use the word "Program" folks might feel/take it is only a
developer tool.... Maybe something like "Run software in your datacenter or
in the cloud like it's a single pool of resources"

> Subhead:
>
> Apache Mesos abstracts CPU, memory, storage, and other compute resources
> away from machines (physical or virtual), enabling fault-tolerant and
> elastic distributed systems to easily be built and run effectively.

maybe "elastic distributed systems " => "elastically partitioned systems"

I am really trying to get the term "elastic partitioning" in somewhere and
this seemed like a good place :)

> Distributed Systems Kernel

Why not datacenter kernel or infrastructure kernel?  distributed systems
kernel tells me that if I am a developer with a web front end then it won't
work for me.

> Mesos is a distributed systems kernel built using the same principles as
> the Linux kernel, only at a different level of abstraction. The Mesos
> kernel runs on every machine and provides applications (e.g., Hadoop,
> Spark, Kafka, Elastic Search) with API’s for resource management and
> scheduling across entire datacenter and cloud environments.

This is good, maybe one more line at the end to "invite" non distributed
systems, custom application, commercial canned out of the box to play
too.... Mesos framework's have been built enabling you to run long-running
services that take advantage of Mesos' scalability, fault-tolerance, and
resource isolation without having to make changes to that software...or
something... depends on where this blurb shows up with the other ones on
the site or if it is stand alone.... I could be taking it out of context,
dunno.

Re: updating website copy

Posted by Tim St Clair <ts...@redhat.com>.
inline

Posted by Dave Lester <da...@gmail.com>.
[...]

proposition. In the case of Mesos, I think there's a great opportunity for

Re: updating website copy

Posted by Tim St Clair <ts...@redhat.com>.

Re: updating website copy

Posted by Dave Lester <da...@gmail.com>.
I updated this language and also added a few of the "features" Ben Mahler
mentioned; feedback welcome. http://mesos.apache.org

There is a lot to be desired for in terms of design; patches are welcome!
The website source for folks that do not already know is available here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/mesos/site/ with instructions in the svn
repo's README file.

Re: updating website copy

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.