Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mohanraj Loganathan <mo...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/27 19:33:16 UTC

[classlib][luni]Float.toString - inaccuracy in the last digit

Following test[1] fails in Harmony. But passes in RI.

[1] test:
		float r=6.0214271E18f;
		String s=Float.toString(r);
		assertEquals("6.0214271E18",s);
Harmony prints: 6.021427E18  (note '1' is missing from the converted string)

When i looked into the implementation of harmony, i come to know its a
limitation to the algorithm implemented in Harmony (Printing
Floating-Point Numbers Quickly and Accurately, Robert G. Burger, and
R. Kent Dybvig, Programming Language Design and Implementation (PLDI)
1996, pp.108-116)

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/java/branches/java6/classlib/modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/shared/dblparse.c

function: java_org_apache_harmony_luni_util_NumberConverter_bigIntDigitGeneratorInstImpl

I am clue-less to find the flaw in the implementation. Any comments
from experts of this area?

I will raise a JIRA for this issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Mohan

Re: [classlib][luni]Float.toString - inaccuracy in the last digit

Posted by Deven You <de...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Chance,
I have read the spec again. From my understanding, the spec requires the
value "x" of finite decimal represented by the Float.toString() meet below
conditions:

1. the "f" is one of float values which are nearest to "x".
2. the number of the fractional part of "x" must be as many as need and the
more digits are needed to uniquely distinguish the argument value.

In our case, if 6.021427E18 is already meet the above conditions and if the
last digit "1" of 6.0214271E18 has no use to distinguish the argument value,
then our result is right and RI is not correct.

In Chance's reply, he has used one example to show this situation. If the
algorithm of our code just do the logic of what spec requires. I believe
harmony does the right things and RI is not correct.

Posted by Shi Jun Zhang <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Shi Jun Zhang