Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Sai Zhang <sz...@cs.washington.edu> on 2010/05/26 20:11:47 UTC

How to change the initial VM memory usage (4096M)

Hi all:

   After I installed hive according to its instructions, and launched it
using command ./hive_home/bin/hive,  I
 found hive needs at least -Xmx4096 M memory to start. I am wondering is
there any way to change this
configuration to require less memory?

At least, I did not find a valid one using grep. Any suggestion is welcome.

thanks

-Sai

Re: How to change the initial VM memory usage (4096M)

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
That change my only be in trunk. Just in case he is referencing this. be
careful about lowering this. Queries with lots of AND/ORS will not compile
if you set this too low.

bin/ext/cli.sh
  else
      echo "Unable to determine Hadoop version information."
      echo "'hadoop version' returned:"
      echo `$HADOOP version`
      exit 6
  fi

  HADOOP_HEAPSIZE=4096
  HADOOP_OPTS="$HADOOP_OPTS -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit"

  if [ $minor_ver -lt 20 ]; then
      exec $HADOOP jar $AUX_JARS_CMD_LINE ${HIVE_LIB}/hive-cli-*.jar $CLASS
$HIVE_OPTS "$@"
  else
      # hadoop 20 or newer - skip the aux_jars option. picked up from
hiveconf
      exec $HADOOP jar ${HIVE_LIB}/hive-cli-*.jar $CLASS $HIVE_OPTS "$@"
  fi

Posted by Ning Zhang <nz...@facebook.com>.