Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Nathan Coast <na...@codeczar.com> on 2003/10/01 02:16:04 UTC

artifact plugin

Hi

I'm having trouble understanding how to use the artifact plugin.

Is it intended as a standalone plugin or simply to provide tags that can
be used in other plugins /  maven.xml?

Eric Pugh posted almost exactly the same question about a month ago but
there was no reply.

http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/msg02492.html

cheers
Nathan

Re: artifact plugin

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@student.matnat.uio.no>.
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Nathan Coast wrote:

> in that case, I think we could do with a bit of renaming / reworking of
> the plugin plugin.  All other <artifact-type> plugins follow this convetion:
>
> install - copy to local repository /groupId/<type>s/artifactId.xxx
> deploy  - copy to remote repostitory /groupId/<type>s/artifactId.xxx
>
> however, the plugin plugin does this:
>
> install - copy jar to ${maven.home}/plugins/${maven.final.name}.jar
> deploy  - unizip ${maven.final.name}.jar to maven.plugin.unpacked.dir =
> ${maven.home.local}/plugins

Yeah, thats right. I've been thinking about that. Why don't you create a
issue in jira unless there already is one. And try to create a patch for
it, shouldn't be to hard.

I think this would be the 'right' goals

deploy: deploy to remote repos
install: install in MAVEN_HOME
'local': install in ~

This might break a few thing but it is still the right thing to do.

> AFAICT there are no goals to place a plugin in a local or remote
> repository.  Seeing as plugins are now just artifacts like any other
> would it make sense to modify the plugin plugin to match the other
> <artifact-type> plugins
>
> Trygve Laugstøl wrote:
> > On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Nathan Coast wrote:
> >
> >>Hi
> >>
> >>I'm having trouble understanding how to use the artifact plugin. Is it
> >>intended as a standalone plugin or simply to provide tags that can be
> >>used in other plugins / maven.xml?
> >

> >The artifact plugins is only a taglib that other plugins like the
> >jar/war/ejb plugins use for deploying their artifacts.
> >
> >Codereuse :)
> >

> >>Eric Pugh posted almost exactly the same question about a month ago
> >>but there was no reply.
> >>
> >>http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/msg02492.html
> >>
> >>cheers
> >>Nathan
> >
> > Trygvis

Trygvis

Re: artifact plugin

Posted by Nathan Coast <na...@codeczar.com>.

Re: artifact plugin

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@student.matnat.uio.no>.
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Nathan Coast wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm having trouble understanding how to use the artifact plugin.
>
> Is it intended as a standalone plugin or simply to provide tags that can
> be used in other plugins /  maven.xml?

The artifact plugins is only a taglib that other plugins like the
jar/war/ejb plugins use for deploying their artifacts.

Codereuse :)

> Eric Pugh posted almost exactly the same question about a month ago but
> there was no reply.
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/users@maven.apache.org/msg02492.html
>
> cheers
> Nathan