Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2009/02/20 05:57:22 UTC

[FWD] Bugzilla upgrade and proposed change to workflow

from our nice Bugzilla admin

> Bugzilla has been upgraded to 3.2.2. Of the several new features,
> the most significant is that the workflow is now configurable.
>
> I have taken the opportunity to remove ASSIGNED from the possible
> states that a bug may transition to. The reason for this is that it
> changes the e-mail address that bug notifications are sent to. This
> means bug changes no longer appear on the mailing lists; neither are
> they archived.
>
> I would like to go further and remove the ASSIGNED status
> completely. If this will cause your project any issues, please let
> bugzilla-admin know. I won't do anything about this for at least a
> week to give people a chance to respond.
>
> Assuming there are no complaints I will change the status of all
> bugs currently in the ASSIGNED state to NEW and re-set the
> notification e-mail address for those bugs to the default for the
> project.

We do use the ASSIGNED feature and I guess it may be more difficult to
say "I work on this" without it.  I do understand the "notification
mail is changed" problem, so maybe removing ASSIGNED is the right
thing to do.

We should talk about how we could change our workflow and maybe even
ask to ASSIGNED around.

How about the other developers?

Stefan

Re: [FWD] Bugzilla upgrade and proposed change to workflow

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-02-20, Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com> wrote:

> Since the workflow is now configurable, presumably that means that we
> can define new states.

I asked the bugzilla admin whether that would be possible.

> Could we ask the admin to change all assigned to a custom state and
> then reset the email addresses, instead?

That would be good.

I'll report back when I know more.

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
Since the workflow is now configurable, presumably that means that we
can define new states. If so, why couldn't we create our own state
(WORKINGON or something) to indicate that someone is tackling the bug
without changing the email address?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-02-20, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> From our nice Bugzilla admin:

>> I would like to go further and remove the ASSIGNED status
>> completely. If this will cause your project any issues, please let
>> bugzilla-admin know.

I will notify them about our discussion and follow up after we've come
to a conclusion as well.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-02-20, <Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de> wrote:

> Another discussion could be migrating to Jira.

Yes, a completely different discussion.

> BTW where can I see the defined workflows in BugZilla + Jira?

No idea, sorry.

Stefan

AW: [FWD] Bugzilla upgrade and proposed change to workflow

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
>We do use the ASSIGNED feature and I guess it may be more difficult to
>say "I work on this" without it.  I do understand the "notification
>mail is changed" problem, so maybe removing ASSIGNED is the right
>thing to do.
>
>We should talk about how we could change our workflow and maybe even
>ask to ASSIGNED around.
>
>How about the other developers?
>
>Stefan

In the past my personal workflow was
- getting a NEW issue
- working
- testing
- commit
- change to RESOLVED

The ASSIGNED is good for a resource planning, so that only one developer
is working on one issue. But I think we dont have a big potential for
resource collision here. If a patch is "fast" (1 day or so) to realize,
then thats ok. For longer work a discussion on dev@ant was done often.

Another discussion could be migrating to Jira.

Jan

BTW where can I see the defined workflows in BugZilla + Jira?