Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Drew Schatt <sc...@schatt.com> on 2000/04/11 01:40:46 UTC

os-solaris/5978: htpasswd encrypted passwords can't be read on other platform

>Number:         5978
>Category:       os-solaris
>Synopsis:       htpasswd encrypted passwords can't be read on other platform
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    apache
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   apache
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Apr 10 16:50:00 PDT 2000
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     schatt@schatt.com
>Release:        1.3.12
Hi there-
	I was running my webserver (compiled with mod_php, mod_dbi, mod_perl) on Solaris for X86 (mira). I have a few password protected directories, and everything was working great.  Then, due to load related issues, I decided to move to a different machine, one that was actually running the Sparc chip (rigel).  The problem is that I can't seem to get that same .htpasswd file working under apache under rigel, it keeps failing to authenticate.
connect to www.schatt.com/mp3 with the username of test and password of test.  Then try connecting to www2.schatt.com/mp3 with the same username (test) and password (test).  Access will fail, even though the exact same file is being used for the .htpasswd (shared directory over the network during changeover).
>Fix:
Is there any method of making the results of the htpasswd command platform independant?  This would really help those of us who use whatever platforms we have lying around to do our webserving, based on whatevers fastest.
 [to include <ap...@Apache.Org> in the Cc line and make sure the]