Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by siddharth aggarwal <si...@rediffmail.com> on 2001/09/11 08:01:44 UTC

problem making choice of soap implementation

Hi,
 I want to send a stream of words from a client to a server. The server processes this stream of words and sends back 1 or more xml documents (i think this could be done by concatenating the xml documents and then converting it all to one string). The client then needs to process these xml documents (each of these documents could have a different format, unknown to the client).

I am facing the following problem:-

1) Should I use soap based messaging or RPC?
2) Is the apache implementation of SOAP too slow to perform such a task (i.e. frquent transfer of large amounts of data between machines)?

Please advise me?
Regards,
Siddharth.

Re: problem making choice of soap implementation

Posted by Andreas Ullmann <an...@mathema.de>.
Hello Siddharth,

in my opinion soap makes sense if you want to transfer the data outside your Enterprise. If you want to send the data within your Enterprise system, which means no firewalls and full control of the client and server EJB would be my choice.

What kind of performance do you need? I allready implemented a soap communication for one of our customers, which send small XML elements around.
We are able to process 48 calls per minute (over the internet). We used apaches soap 2.2 talking to a EJB Server. The EJB side took round about half of the time, so soap is able to perform 96 calls per minute.

Hope this answers your question.

Andreas Ullmann