Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com> on 1998/06/06 06:37:59 UTC

APACHE_RELEASE no longer always increasing?

apache_1.3b7: src/include/httpd.h (line 400):

#define APACHE_RELEASE 1030007

apache_1.3.0: src/include/httpd.h (line 400):

#define APACHE_RELEASE 1030000

Is this a problem?

"I am the key on the sardine can of justice!" - Darkwing Duck

Re: APACHE_RELEASE no longer always increasing?

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> > apache_1.3b7: src/include/httpd.h (line 400):
> >
> > #define APACHE_RELEASE 1030007
> >
> > apache_1.3.0: src/include/httpd.h (line 400):
> >
> > #define APACHE_RELEASE 1030000
> >
> > Is this a problem?
>
> I doubt it.  The only place where this would be a problem would be if a
> module were to do something like:
>
>   #if APACHE_RELEASE > 1030007
>
> I don't think anybody does this.  Everyone uses the MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER
> instead which always increases since it is based on the date of the last
> change.

Yea, but it raises the issue of what the point of APACHE_RELEASE is if it
can't be tested for anything except equality.

It was originally APACHE_RELEASE_DATE, but that was broken for branching.

Ah.  Ok.

It should be 1030008 according to Roy's commit message.

Too late now.

The problem with mmn is that branching breaks it.  In the past we have had
to make up a mmn for 1.2 that is after the old one but before the next 1.3
one to deal with this.

I don't understand the original piont of APACHE_RELEASE_DATE, it was just
something Roy said should be added without really saying why.

Re: APACHE_RELEASE no longer always increasing?

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> apache_1.3b7: src/include/httpd.h (line 400):
>
> #define APACHE_RELEASE 1030007
>
> apache_1.3.0: src/include/httpd.h (line 400):
>
> #define APACHE_RELEASE 1030000
>
> Is this a problem?

I doubt it.  The only place where this would be a problem would be if a
module were to do something like:

  #if APACHE_RELEASE > 1030007

I don't think anybody does this.  Everyone uses the MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER
instead which always increases since it is based on the date of the last
change.

-Rasmus