Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by thomas Armstrong <ta...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/18 16:34:11 UTC

How to know if someone is working with the same file

Hi.

Is there any way to know if another developer is working with the same
file I am?

I foresee it's impossible (since SVN repository doesn't know) but I
want to confirm it. Thank you very much.

Re: How to know if someone is working with the same file

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 18, 2008 11:34 AM, thomas Armstrong <ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Is there any way to know if another developer is working with the same
> file I am?
>
> I foresee it's impossible (since SVN repository doesn't know) but I
> want to confirm it. Thank you very much.

Only by using locks, but that requires that everyone ask the
repository who has locks before starting to work.

RE: How to know if someone is working with the same file

Posted by "Reedick, Andrew" <jr...@ATT.COM>.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: use the svn:needs-lock property and locking in general.
But that provides info on only one user at a time I think.

Philosophical answer:  Subversion is based on the copy-modify-merge
paradigm, with clients working off-line, and thus isn't concerned about
who is working on what.  (Barring unmergeable files, hence the
svn:needs-lock property.)

Philosophical addendum:  Subversion was designed to support (anonymous)
developers world-wide via the internet running disparate operating
systems and thus works in an environment where the client doesn't
trust/know the server and the server doesn't trust/know the client, so
no meaningful information is passed between, nor control exerted over
the client and server.  (Hence the reason why hooks are server side
only.)

Longer answer:  IIRC, someone posted a way to search the apache logs to
record somewhat similar information.  However, since check-outs are
recursive, that probably doesn't really help.  Possible starting point:
http://svn.haxx.se/users/archive-2008-01/0872.shtml