Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Mike Lish <mi...@sba.eclipse.co.uk> on 2012/10/31 12:56:22 UTC

emailing

Hi
I am unable to email a document directly from Oo.   I use Google
exclusively on my win7 o/s PC.   I.E. filters to Google email as my default.

I have tried in vain many times:
tools/options/internet/search  and have made Oo my default within windows.

Can anyone help

Re: emailing

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 07:43:57AM +0000, Mike Lish wrote:
> Thanks for that. I does seem a rather blinkered outlook not to design a
> global Open Source program to accept Google email.  What on Earth is the
> thinking behind THAT???

sending documents as mail attachments depends on system calls, you need
to set up a default mail client in your system for it to work. For what
I could understand, you set up I.E. to use Gmail when you click some
mailto: link, but this is not system integration, it's only integration
with your browser.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

RE: emailing

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
@Mike, @Andrea

I wondered about that too.  I could find no web API that would allow sending of messages via google.com, let alone formatting one with a document attachment.

There is support for IMAP with Google Mail, though.  Any desktop Email client that can be registered as the default email agent with Gmail via IMAP as its default account might work.  The user may also find this an useful alternative to using Gmail via the browser (which still works, of course).

I just checked Windows Live Mail, a free e-mail client for Windows, and it will (1) set up as the "default" e-mail client and (2) it will operate with a gmail account.  I don't particularly like this client, but it may be the easiest way to solve the user's immediate problem when no other client is being used.

On Ubuntu, Evolution will set up to operate with a Google email account very easily.  I just confirmed that with the Zorin distribution I use for testing.

 - Dennis

Re: emailing

Posted by Mike Lish <mi...@sba.eclipse.co.uk>.

Re: emailing