Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christian Garling <ch...@cg-networks.de> on 2011/01/31 16:37:19 UTC

Tomcat in CentOS 5.5

Hi there,

I am new on this list, so first I want to say hello to you. But now to
my problem.

We develop software for the touristical branch which runs mainly under
CentOS. Our customers are big companies. Of course they have SLAs with
their server providers, so they cant use any software version they want.
CentOS 5.5 ships Tomcat 6.0.18, so this version is available at
customers site. The developer who writes the java parts of our
application told me, that we cant use the Tomcat version shipped with
CentOS, because it has too many bugs. But if we use another one, we
break with customers SLAs. I might be true, that there are bugs in
Tomcat 6.0.18, but CentOS is an enterprise operating system. I can not
believe that these bugs are not fixed with patches there. Can somebody
shed some light into this?

Best regards, Christian

RE: Tomcat in CentOS 5.5

Posted by Jason Pyeron <jp...@pdinc.us>.

Centos 5.5 is not covered by an SLA, you should use RHEL 5 (and I belive the
current patch version is 5.6)

> CentOS 5.5 ships Tomcat 6.0.18, so this version is available
> at customers site. The developer who writes the java parts of
> our application told me, that we cant use the Tomcat version
> shipped with CentOS, because it has too many bugs. But if we
> use another one, we break with customers SLAs. I might be
> true, that there are bugs in Tomcat 6.0.18, but CentOS is an
> enterprise operating system. I can not believe that these

Yes the upsream provider Red Hat may provide fixes, you should look at the
src.rpm files for tomcat to see.

> bugs are not fixed with patches there. Can somebody shed some
> light into this?

In you situation we would install a version of Tomcat suited to the
Customer/Task in /var/opt/apache/tomcat/version and create a SysV init script
and plug it into the vendors mod_ajp facility.

> Best regards, Christian

-                                                               -
- Jason Pyeron                      PD Inc. http://www.pdinc.us -
- Principal Consultant              10 West 24th Street #100    -
- +1 (443) 269-1555 x333            Baltimore, Maryland 21218   -
-                                                               -

RE: Tomcat in CentOS 5.5

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christian Garling [mailto:christian.garling@cg-networks.de]
> Subject: Tomcat in CentOS 5.5

> CentOS 5.5 ships Tomcat 6.0.18, so this version is available at
> customers site. The developer who writes the java parts of our
> application told me, that we cant use the Tomcat version shipped with
> CentOS, because it has too many bugs. But if we use another one, we
> break with customers SLAs. I might be true, that there are bugs in
> Tomcat 6.0.18, but CentOS is an enterprise operating system.

You'll have to talk to CentOS, not the Tomcat users (or developers).  The Tomcat developers are extremely prompt at providing updates for Tomcat, but have absolutely no control (and very little influence) over any of the 3rd-party repackagers, such as CentOS.  If you're not running a Tomcat downloaded from tomcat.apache.org, you need to have your discussions with whomever you are getting Tomcat from.

The usual recommendation (which I whole-heartedly agree with) is to ditch the 3rd-party version of Tomcat, and always use a real one - regardless of platform.

 - Chuck