Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Henry Robinson <he...@apache.org> on 2015/12/01 22:51:17 UTC

[RESULT] [VOTE] Accept Impala into the Apache Incubator

This vote is now closed and passes with 17 binding +1 votes, 7 non-binding
+1 votes and 4 binding -1 votes.

Thanks to everyone that voted!

Here is my tally of the votes:

Binding +1s (17):
    Todd Lipcon
    Arvind Prabhakar
    Chris Mattmann
    Julien Le Dem
    Carl Steinbach
    Brock Noland
    Tom White
    Alex Karasulu
    Jarek Jarcec Cecho
    Chris Douglas
    Doug Cutting
    Hitesh Shah
    Julian Hyde
    Ted Dunning
    Andrew Bayer
    Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Andrei Savu
    Michael Stack

Binding -1s (4):
    Greg Stein
    Ralph Goers
    Roman Shaposhnik
    Konstantin Boudnik

Non-binding +1s (7):
    Patrick Angeles
    Ashish Paliwal
    Mike Percy
    Luke Han
    Amol Kekre
    Joe Witt
    Sree V

Best,
Henry

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Accept Impala into the Apache Incubator

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Geez, dude. Ease up. "all of us" only meant the four of us voting -1.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:

> Greg,
>
> May I suggest a compromise? Enter incubation with no explicit commit
> policy and let the community choose a commit policy if and when they see
> fit.

The community already discussed it and made a choice. They'll make the same
choice in a couple weeks after the podling starts its activity.

If they started as CTR and made a choice after growing the community, and
chose RTC at that time, then I'd have no problem. Right now, the initial
set of committers have been using RTC and wish to stick to that, rather
than provide the decision to a larger/newer community. (IMO, of course)

Cheers,
-g

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Accept Impala into the Apache Incubator

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
Greg,

May I suggest a compromise? Enter incubation with no explicit commit policy and let the community choose a commit policy if and when they see fit.

Julian

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com>.
On 1 December 2015 at 15:22, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > On 1 December 2015 at 14:46, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> > > Given as we have no actual incubator policy that states whether
> > > consensus is required or not - or at least none that I could find -
> one
> > > would assume this falls back to the default "3x+1 and more +1s than
> -1s"
> > > here, with consensus being something we strive for, but not a mandatory
> > > outcome.
> >

> Agreed. That was my interpretation, too. I likely would not have cast a
> veto, if that was the interpretation.

> > > You don't necessarily need to have everyone agree with you, but you
> > > should at least have a discussion about your different opinions.
> >

> Right.

> > I understand that Greg does not feel his viewpoint
> > has been carried into the proposal for Impala,
>

> Oh, I missed the discussion, and only belatedly learned of the RTC and use
> of Gerrit within the proposal. I had no preconceptions that the proposal
> needed to be altered for [just] me. Only avenue was the vote.

Ok - thanks for clearing that up! Are you satisfied that there's been
enough discussion over RTC vs CTR (which I think is Bertrand's concern)?
Are you happy (ok, happy's probably the wrong word) that the [VOTE] has
been satisfactorily concluded, and passes, or is there something else you
would like us to address?

Best,
Henry

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com>.
On 1 December 2015 at 14:46, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 12/01/2015 11:37 PM, Henry Robinson wrote:
> > On 1 December 2015 at 14:32, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Henry Robinson <he...@apache.org>
> >>
> >> Please indicate how the issues that are behind these -1s have been
> >> addressed.
> >>
> >> I might have missed something, just had a quick look at the VOTE thread.
> >>

> > Do they have to be addressed for the vote to pass? My understanding was
> > that this vote was by majority, and that -1s did not act as vetos.
> >

> Given as we have no actual incubator policy that states whether
> consensus is required or not - or at least none that I could find -  one
> would assume this falls back to the default "3x+1 and more +1s than -1s"
> here, with consensus being something we strive for, but not a mandatory
> outcome.
>
> What Bertrand might be trying to ask here is whether the concerns have
> been addressed in the sense that there have been replies and a
> discussion surrounding these topics.
>
> You don't necessarily need to have everyone agree with you, but you
> should at least have a discussion about your different opinions.
>
> With regards,
> Daniel.

Thanks Daniel. Since these concerns weren't raised on Impala's [DISCUSS]
thread, I believe that's why many Impala community members didn't think to
address them beforehand (and my - possibly mistaken - view was that [VOTE]
threads were explicitly not for discussion, that phase having ended, hence
I didn't respond when the -1 votes were cast). That said, my (personal)
position is adequately represented on the lengthy RTC vs CTR thread by
other proponents of RTC. Todd Lipcon is a mentor for the Impala proposal,
and I believe his views broadly represent that of the Impala community as
it currently is composed.

Bertrand, does that discussion satisfy you that the RTC vs CTR question has
been adequately debated? I understand that Greg does not feel his viewpoint
has been carried into the proposal for Impala, but it seems the question is
over whether we've given it sufficient consideration.

Happy to work to resolve this, just want to understand the point(s) under
question.

Best,
Henry

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > As far as I can tell from the proposals and DISCUSS, RTC was the process
> > already present in the community proposed. If the -1 folks would like to
> > convince the community to change its approach then they should take that
> up
> > with the community, not attempt to force a practice on them by holding
> up a
> > passing vote.
> >

> We didn't hold up anything. We simply cast a binding vote.

My apologies. I misread the sequence of messages to indicate that folks
were calling for requiring handling of -1s similar to how they'd be handled
as vetoes.

The rest of the thread has made it clear that this is not the case. I'm all
for showing dissent in a majority vote via -1s.

--
Sean

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Accept Impala into the Apache Incubator

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 4:46 PM, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 12/01/2015 11:37 PM, Henry Robinson wrote:
> > On 1 December 2015 at 14:32, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 10:51 PM, Henry Robinson <he...@apache.org>
> >>
> >> Please indicate how the issues that are behind these -1s have been
> >> addressed.
> >>
> >> I might have missed something, just had a quick look at the VOTE thread.
> >>

> > Do they have to be addressed for the vote to pass? My understanding was
> > that this vote was by majority, and that -1s did not act as vetos.
> >

> Given as we have no actual incubator policy that states whether
> consensus is required or not - or at least none that I could find -  one
> would assume this falls back to the default "3x+1 and more +1s than -1s"
> here, with consensus being something we strive for, but not a mandatory
> outcome.
>
> What Bertrand might be trying to ask here is whether the concerns have
> been addressed in the sense that there have been replies and a
> discussion surrounding these topics.
>
> You don't necessarily need to have everyone agree with you, but you
> should at least have a discussion about your different opinions.
>
> With regards,
> Daniel.

The place for those discussions is either in the DISCUSS thread that
precedes a VOTE or in the  dev@ list of the newly incubating podling.

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
FWIW, I see the fact that there were some -1s in the vote as a positive thing in ensuring that the concerns behind the -1s will be addressed. I mean that the community will feel a pressure to be inclusive to “prove” that RTC is not an impediment to community growth.

It stands to reason that attention must be paid to ensure that RTC does not negatively effect the community.

Harbs

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Greg Stein wrote:
>> RTC versus CTR is clearly a religious debate. There are a large number of
>> >  successful and vibrant Apache communities using each paradigm. I don't
>> >

> "Apache communities" is (IMO) a very important point here. I believe that
> Apache communities understand the nuances of peer respect, consensus, and
> trust.*That*  community could weigh the variables and decide which workflow
> works best for their community. By definition, podling arrivals are not
> accorded the same self-reliance, and the proposal even states, "fewer have
> much experience with ASF-based software projects as contributors and
> community members"
>
> Thus, my else-thread suggestion of waiting for an "Apache community" to
> form, and then making the decision to move from CTR to RTC.

Joining in (albeit much later than I should have chimed in), I was/am a
little concerned to see the -1's cast in the first place. It seemed very
out of character to have concerns about how a community desired to
govern itself prohibiting entry to incubation.

However, given Greg's, Bertrand's and Roman's comments since, I do feel
much better. It seems appropriate to me that the mentors take these
concerns seriously and provide feedback to the IPMC that the podling
isn't misusing RTC. Wanting a community to operate in a specific way
feels like a slippery slope to me (as it's been hashed out that people
have differing and strong opinions on both sides), but I like the idea
of ensuring that RTC is being applied in a way which we're happy with at
the ASF.

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Accept Impala into the Apache Incubator

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 8:53 PM, Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> It's great that Greg and the others who disagree cast their dissenting
> votes. That doesn't mean that we should throw out process. If the process
> is 3x+1 and more +1 than -1, this vote passes as Henry stated. Greg even
> stated (if I understand his statements correctly) that he was not trying to
> sink this vote but rather to express his dissent.

Yup, you captured this correctly.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@apache.org>.
A few thoughts from a 'bystander':

It's great that Greg and the others who disagree cast their dissenting
votes. That doesn't mean that we should throw out process. If the process
is 3x+1 and more +1 than -1, this vote passes as Henry stated. Greg even
stated (if I understand his statements correctly) that he was not trying to
sink this vote but rather to express his dissent.

RTC versus CTR is clearly a religious debate. There are a large number of
successful and vibrant Apache communities using each paradigm. I don't
think this new community can address those -1's unless they switched
religious sides. That seems to be an unfair ask given their desires and the
general split on this topic within the broader Apache membership. (In other
words, short of switching to CTR, it seems like these -1's would stand.)

Adding additional mentors seems to be a late suggestion and unwarranted.
The mentors on this proposal have strong Apache credentials and there is
reasonable diversity among them.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
The only mention of consensus I could find is in the actual development of the actual proposal. I’m sure one could argue that that implies that whether consensus is achieved is by the vote, but with a group as large as the IPMC it would be horrible to allow a single vote to block a podling from entering.

Ralph

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Robinson <he...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks Owen (and apologies for missing your vote: I swore I saw it at the
time, then checked the thread twice and somehow missed it).

The updated results are below:

Binding +1s (18):
    Todd Lipcon
    Arvind Prabhakar
    Chris Mattmann
    Julien Le Dem
    Carl Steinbach
    Brock Noland
    Owen O'Malley
    Tom White
    Alex Karasulu
    Jarek Jarcec Cecho
    Chris Douglas
    Doug Cutting
    Hitesh Shah
    Julian Hyde
    Ted Dunning
    Andrew Bayer
    Jean-Baptiste Onofré
    Andrei Savu
    Michael Stack

Binding -1s (4):
    Greg Stein
    Ralph Goers
    Roman Shaposhnik
    Konstantin Boudnik

Non-binding +1s (7):
    Patrick Angeles
    Ashish Paliwal
    Mike Percy
    Luke Han
    Amol Kekre
    Joe Witt
    Sree V

--
Henry Robinson
Software Engineer

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Accept Impala into the Apache Incubator

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.