Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com> on 2012/08/15 23:01:09 UTC

Re: uses for site generation for internal enterprise software when a CI server is in use?

Agreed... another benefit imho is that it is the easiest way to provide a
static website about your project for users of your artifacts.
Specifically if you are providing an API you can just host the javadoc and
potentially even the crosslinked source code right there and augement it
with further documentation and links to e.g. wiki, forums, mailing lsits
and more

With the new fluido skin and others you can even make it look okay..

manfred

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
Yes.. that is a problem. I never understood why the standard behaviour for
site deployment is to overwrite whatever is deployed. Very much in
contrast to deployments of snapshots (timestamping them) or releases (not
allowing redeployment)..

However an easy workaround that also has the benefit of allowing you to
make e.g. an old version of the site (or javadoc and so on) available in
parallel to new ones and also push snapshot and release sites and all have
them live side by side is to use this kind of approach..

 <distributionManagement>
    <site>
      <id>nexus-site</id>
      <!-- Site hosting in Nexus -->
      <!-- requires hosted repository with format maven-site and the
repository id "site-internal"-->
      <url>
        dav:http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/sites/site-internal/${project.groupId}/${project.artifactId}/${project.version}
      </url>
    </site>
  </distributionManagement>

<build>
    <!-- necessary for the dav protocol for deployment to Nexus -->
    <extensions>
      <extension>
        <groupId>org.apache.maven.wagon</groupId>
        <artifactId>wagon-webdav-jackrabbit</artifactId>
        <version>2.2</version>
      </extension>
    </extensions>

And yes.. this is set up for Nexus but should work for deployment to any
server...

Then you have them all available side by side and can just use a entry
site or http redirectors to redirect where you want.

And you can also deploy a new site for each snapshot build (in which case
it would overwrite the prior snapshot but NOT the prior release...)

Manfred

PS: Yes that was another shameless plugin from the Nexus class material..
but I am sure the same works with other servers as well

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.