Posted to user@storm.apache.org by TSD-贾宏超 <ji...@neusoft.com> on 2015/09/02 07:38:29 UTC

why storm is written in clojure

Hi, all
     I know clojure has some different features in concurreny from java ,such as agent, ref and STM, but it seems that storm uses disrupter a lot for intra-worker communication, so is it the main reason to use clojure for storm because of its concurreny features?

贾宏超
技术战略与发展部(TSD)
东软集团(大连)有限公司
大连市黄浦路901-3号 D2座 TSD
Mobile:159 9853 3097
E-mail: jia.hch@neusoft.com

is intended only for the use of the intended recipient and may be confidential and/or privileged of
Neusoft Corporation, its subsidiaries and/or its affiliates. If any reader of this communication is
not the intended recipient, unauthorized use, forwarding, printing,  storing, disclosure or copying
immediately notify the sender by return e-mail, and delete the original message and all copies from
your system. Thank you.

Re: why storm is written in clojure

Posted by ri...@chartbeat.com.
Clojure is a jvm language.

Posted by 임정택 <ka...@gmail.com>.
FYI, Storm has been using Disruptor from 0.8.0.
http://storm.apache.org/2012/08/02/storm080-released.html

And Nathan loves Clojure.
https://twitter.com/nathanmarz/status/639137146620784641

I don't think Storm should be implemented as Clojure. Storm could be
implemented as pure Java (see JStorm, which ports Storm to pure Java), or
Scala, or etc.
Btw, choosing JVM languages would be great for productivity since so many
libraries are available.

> Hi, all
>      I know clojure has some different features in concurreny from java
> ,such as agent, ref and STM, but it seems that storm uses disrupter a lot
> for intra-worker communication, so is it the main reason to use clojure for
> storm because of its concurreny features?
>
> ------------------------------
> 贾宏超
> 技术战略与发展部(TSD)
> 东软集团(大连)有限公司
> 大连市黄浦路901-3号 D2座 TSD
> Mobile:159 9853 3097
> E-mail: jia.hch@neusoft.com <b...@neusoft.com>

> Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this e-mail and any
> accompanying attachment(s)
> is intended only for the use of the intended recipient and may be
> confidential and/or privileged of
> Neusoft Corporation, its subsidiaries and/or its affiliates. If any reader
> of this communication is
> not the intended recipient, unauthorized use, forwarding, printing,
> storing, disclosure or copying
> is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.If you have received this
> communication in error,please
> immediately notify the sender by return e-mail, and delete the original
> message and all copies from
> your system. Thank you.

Name : 임 정택
Blog : http://www.heartsavior.net / http://dev.heartsavior.net
Twitter : http://twitter.com/heartsavior
LinkedIn : http://www.linkedin.com/in/heartsavior

Re: why storm is written in clojure

Posted by ri...@chartbeat.com.
Right, but those aren't technical reasons, just stylistic choices.

From: rick@chartbeat.com
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2015 10:16:20 -0400
To: user@storm.apache.org

On Sep 2, 2015, at 1:38 AM, TSD-贾宏超 <ji...@neusoft.com> wrote:Hi, all     I know clojure has some different features in concurreny from java ,such as agent, ref and STM, but it seems that storm uses disrupter a lot for intra-worker communication, so is it the main reason to use clojure for storm because of its concurreny features?

Posted by Rick Mangi <ri...@chartbeat.com>.