Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2006/06/18 20:23:58 UTC

Re: awt and swing integration issues

On 18 June 2006 at 22:16, "Alexey Petrenko" <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/6/18, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:
> > c) I'm also wondering about the motivation for using C++ when I can't
> > see any pressing reason to require this.
> You mean that most of the native code is C++ but not C?

Yes.  It seems to be a mixture of C and C++ and although I only looked
at a couple of files I didn't see anything that really needed C++
features.

For portability I'd stick to C if C++ isn't really required.

Regards,
-Mark.

Re: awt and swing integration issues

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
2006/6/20, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:
> Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> > 2006/6/18, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:

> >> Yes.  It seems to be a mixture of C and C++ and although I only looked
> >> at a couple of files I didn't see anything that really needed C++
> >> features.
> >>
> >> For portability I'd stick to C if C++ isn't really required.
> > But C++ gives at least 2 benefits for developer:
> > 1. Strict type checking
> > 2. It is allow to write env->FindClass("java/lang/Object") instead of
> > (*env)->FindClass(env, "java/lang/Object") :)
> >
> > Windows version also uses GDI+ which is class library.
> >
> > So I vote for C++...
>
> I remember this discussion ;-)
>
> I don't object to using C++ syntax, but let's try to avoid the use of
> STL and other minefields that vary across implementation/platforms.
No objection on this :)

SY, Alexey

--
Alexey A. Petrenko
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: awt and swing integration issues

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Alexey Petrenko wrote:
> 2006/6/18, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:
>>
>> On 18 June 2006 at 22:16, "Alexey Petrenko"
>> <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > You mean that most of the native code is C++ but not C?
>>
>> Yes.  It seems to be a mixture of C and C++ and although I only looked
>> at a couple of files I didn't see anything that really needed C++
>> features.
>>
>> For portability I'd stick to C if C++ isn't really required.
> But C++ gives at least 2 benefits for developer:
> 1. Strict type checking
> 2. It is allow to write env->FindClass("java/lang/Object") instead of
> (*env)->FindClass(env, "java/lang/Object") :)
>
> Windows version also uses GDI+ which is class library.
>
> So I vote for C++...

I remember this discussion ;-)

I don't object to using C++ syntax, but let's try to avoid the use of
STL and other minefields that vary across implementation/platforms.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: awt and swing integration issues

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
My USD0.02...

1) If I were to write a GUI toolkit, I can't imagine why I wouldn't use
C++ given relationships like "DialogBox is a Window"

2) Isn't it a reasonably safe bet that any platform that has a GUI is
'advanced' enough to have a reasonable C++ compiler for it?

I understand the need to stick to the simplicity of C, but I'm not
surprised w/ the C++

Mark, are you suggesting we convert it back to C?

geir

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.