Posted to user@chukwa.apache.org by NehaS Singh <Ne...@lntinfotech.com> on 2012/12/27 10:26:49 UTC

Integration with log4j

Hi,
                I am trying to collect logs from log4j.i have added the chukwa-0.5.0-client.jar file to Class path
I am following the instructions given on this site
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Sending_information_to_Chukwa
My Problem is whenever a run java program to create log files that is using log4j properties of apache log4j it throws error Record_Type not defined

 1.  Create a log4j.properties file that contains the following information:
    *   log4j.rootLogger=INFO, chukwa
log4j.appender.chukwa=org.apache.hadoop.chukwa.inputtools.log4j.ChukwaDailyRollingFileAppender<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ChukwaDailyRollingFileAppender> log4j.appender.chukwa.File=${CHUKWA_HOME}/logs/${RECORD_TYPE}.log log4j.appender.chukwa.DatePattern<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/DatePattern>='.'yyyy-MM-dd log4j.appender.chukwa.recordType=${RECORD_TYPE} log4j.appender.chukwa.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/PatternLayout> log4j.appender.chukwa.layout.ConversionPattern<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ConversionPattern>=%d{ISO8601} %p %c: %m%n

 1.  Add these parameters to your java command line:
    *   -DCHUKWA_HOME=${CHUKWA_HOME} -DRECORD_TYPE=<YourRecordType<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/YourRecordType>_Here> -Dlog4j.configuration=log4j.properties
What should I pass in place of Record_type ?
Please help

Regards,
Neha Singh

________________________________
The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential or privileged information for the intended recipient(s). Unintended recipients are prohibited from taking action on the basis of information in this e-mail and using or disseminating the information, and must notify the sender and delete it from their system. L&T Infotech will not accept responsibility or liability for the accuracy or completeness of, or the presence of any virus or disabling code in this e-mail"

RE: Integration with log4j

Posted by NehaS Singh <Ne...@lntinfotech.com>.
Thank you for your reply it really helped.

Here RecordType is used just as a type name for the data. For example, if you are configuring namenode logs, then recordtype would be namenode,(recordType=Namenode)
if you are configuring datanode logs here, it would be datanode (recordType=Datanode), etc., Basically, its a convenience to identify your data.

btw, you should configure the log4j.properties in key=value format( as shown below and its more readable). I'm not sure if space delimiters are allowed for key,value pairs.

log4j.rootLogger=INFO, chukwa
log4j.appender.chukwa=org.apache.hadoop.chukwa.inputtools.log4j.ChukwaDailyRollingFileAppender<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ChukwaDailyRollingFileAppender>
log4j.appender.chukwa.File=${CHUKWA_HOME}/logs/${RECORD_TYPE}.log
log4j.appender.chukwa.DatePattern<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/DatePattern>='.'yyyy-MM-dd
log4j.appender.chukwa.recordType=${RECORD_TYPE}
log4j.appender.chukwa.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/PatternLayout>
log4j.appender.chukwa.layout.ConversionPattern<http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ConversionPattern>=%d{ISO8601} %p %c: %m%n

Regards,
- Sreepathi.

[...]