Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2015/01/16 16:39:51 UTC

[pTLP] Apache Commons sub-mailing lists discussion

Relating to IncubatorV2 and pTLP proposals - on Apache Commons I seem
to have spurred a discussion about making sub-mailing lists (And thus
forming sub-communities) - but keep the formalities on the general
list.

(email below)
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201501.mbox/%3C23d5b03fc1cdb4079ceb52c55458f0e3%40scarlet.be%3E

My slight concern (even though I would benefit from the proposal :))
is that this is in danger of forming a "mini incubator" with less
clear guidance and follow-up:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/commons-dev/201501.mbox/%3CCAPRnXt%3DDwqk9p-b-yYBYRnrp%3DanvLgdTanMkenLfm6fGQgcHfw%40mail.gmail.com%3E

The pTLP proposal has not mentioned what would be the process for
projects with a sponsor different from Incubator (e.g. which don't
aspire to become TLPs) - presumably they would usually have mentors
from and report to the parent project?

I don't see any proposals with "Apache Commons" as the sponsor at
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/index.html

.. is that because Commons already have a lightweight entry path with
its sandbox?

https://commons.apache.org/sandbox.html

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Right - then Incubator guidance really needs updated, because reading
it, it sounds like using the IPMC as a sponsor is a special case for
when you really could not find a sponsor project. Going over the list
of incubating project this hasn't really been the case this decade
except for a couple of clear sub-projects.

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html even
links to exactly to the umbrella project Jakarta.

I removed the confusing Jakarta reference and have updated it slightly
- see staging:

http://incubator.staging.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html

.. but more work is needed as it still describes the process as
normally sending proposals directly to the champion project, where
IPMC submission is a special case. So I agree with you that it is now
the other way around. (Also please remember people won't know jargon
like "IPMC" at this stage..)

I added these paragraphs to help explain what the champion will help
you with before you write and submit a proposal - we found that very
useful for our proposal and for understanding what Apache and "Apache
Way" really would mean for us and our project.

> Simply email that person directly (e.g. username@apache.org, see the committer list to find the username), describe informally yourselves and your project, and ask kindly if she would be willing to act as your Champion for your project within the Apache incubator. Remember that all Apache Committers and Members are volunteers with limited spare time, but you will hopefully find that the person is honoured by your request to be a Champion and sees a potential for your project as a future Apache project.

> Once you have found an eligible person who is willing to act as Champion, you can use this person to help you determine if and how your proposal can fit within the ASF, and if the "Apache Way" of open development would be right for your project. This might happen over a series of emails, telephone calls or online chat sessions, and should cover any practical concerns such as project infrastructure (e.g. mailing lists, web, source code repositories, issue tracker, wiki) but also the implications of licensing, governance and Intellectual Property management.

I have not updated from section "Acceptance"  and beyond to make
Incubator as Champion the default.

- any takers? :)

Or should larger parts of Process_Description.html be removed as it is
also covered by the much nicer
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html?  (which on the other
hand doesn't say much about where you find a Champion and Sponsor).

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.