Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/01 15:02:52 UTC

mod_cgi reference doc mentions old mimetype hack

Hi,

mod/mod_cgi.xml has in the first sentence:

Any file that has the mime type application/x-httpd-cgi or handler
cgi-script (Apache 1.1 or later) will be treated as a CGI script,

Can we remove the reference to the mime type, given that this hack
hasn't been necessary for over ten years? Note that the docs don't
mention the deprecated "Options RunScripts" anywhere, even though the
server supports it :-)

--
noodl

Re: mod_cgi reference doc mentions old mimetype hack

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 01/07/07, Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Patch attached.

Oops, malformed </p> in the patch. *must remember to run build.sh
before posting*

Luckily I haven't had a response to the ICLA yet so I didn't commit a dud.

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 01/07/07, Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:
> We have a general policy of not "un-documenting" supported features.
>
> But I thing it would be a great idea to remove that mention in the
> first sentence and include somewhat later a statement like "For
> backward-compatibility, the cgi-script handler will also be activated
> for any file with the mime-type application/x-httpd-cgi. The use of
> the magic mime-type is deprecated."

Patch attached. I also removed the reference to mod_cgi setting the
DOCUMENT_ROOT env var, given that this is one of several vars set by
util_script.c and an uninteresting one at that. However, I tend to
agree with Andre's comment in that file suggesting that the link to
the howto is sufficient.

So, assuming that the cgi howto documents the old mime type hack
somewhere, should we remove the first paragraphs and just leave the
link to the howto and the mention of mod_cgid?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 7/1/07, Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> mod/mod_cgi.xml has in the first sentence:
>
> Any file that has the mime type application/x-httpd-cgi or handler
> cgi-script (Apache 1.1 or later) will be treated as a CGI script,
>
> Can we remove the reference to the mime type, given that this hack
> hasn't been necessary for over ten years? Note that the docs don't
> mention the deprecated "Options RunScripts" anywhere, even though the
> server supports it :-)

We have a general policy of not "un-documenting" supported features.

But I thing it would be a great idea to remove that mention in the
first sentence and include somewhat later a statement like "For
backward-compatibility, the cgi-script handler will also be activated
for any file with the mime-type application/x-httpd-cgi. The use of
the magic mime-type is deprecated."

Joshua.