Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mahudeswaran A <ma...@acqueon.com> on 2016/03/14 15:41:17 UTC

Tomcat 6.x 32bit-- becomes non responsive state / crash/hang

Hi,

We are facing unusual issue in Tomcat 6.x, where Tomcat 6.x becomes non responsive state after two week's time.
This happens randomly;
The jvisualvm screen shows CPU, memory, thread are normal and we don't see memory leak, thread leak or CPU hike.
JVM running is 32 bit;
In our lab, we are simulating this issue by running a load but still trying our level best but couldn't.
Min heap=256MB; Max heap=512MB
Thread count=150
Tomcat idle session timeout=30minutes
In out load environment the thread count reduced to 30;

Any insights on why the tomcat becomes non responsive;

Thanks & Regards

Re: Tomcat 6.x 32bit-- becomes non responsive state / crash/hang

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Mahudeswaran,

On 3/14/16 2:21 PM, Mahudeswaran A wrote:
> We are working in different time zone. & We will try the thread
> dump meantime...Would you like to share any check points in thread
> dump or share some troubleshooting steps/tools to identify the
> issue. The visualgc plugin in jvisualvm is not supported for the
> jvm 1.6.
>
> Is there any configuration to include timestamp in tomcat std.out
> or std.err log files.
>
> **Attached is the sequence flow that we are trying in our load
> environment;
>
> Itr-1: If we attach a commercial tool (forget the name-it something
> like yourjdk... will share you as soon as I get) the jvm crashes
> within 10-15 minutes; Thread-count=150 Itr-2: If we attach a
> commercial tool (forget the name-it something like yourjdk... will
> share you as soon as I get) the jvm crashes within 50-55 minutes;
> Thread-count=300 Itr-3: If we attach a commercial tool (forget the
> name-it something like yourjdk... will share you as soon as I get)
> the jvm crashes within 50-55 minutes; Thread-count=30 Itr-4: The
> commercial tool was disconnected from jvm monitoring and started
> the load with thread-count=30; & last few hours before checked it's
> was running;monitoring with jvisualvm.

You are probably using YourKit.

When the JVM "crashes", do you get a hspid file and the process
actually dies, or do you get some kind of exception in Tomcat's
catalina.out or other log?

Thanks,
- -chris

Posted by Mahudeswaran A <ma...@acqueon.com>.
Hello Mark,
Thank you

We are working in different time zone. & We will try the thread dump
meantime...Would you like to share any check points in thread dump or share some troubleshooting steps/tools to identify the issue.
The visualgc plugin in jvisualvm is not supported for the jvm 1.6.

Is there any configuration to include timestamp in tomcat std.out or std.err log files.

**Attached is the sequence flow that we are trying in our load environment;

Itr-1: If we attach a commercial tool (forget the name-it something like yourjdk... will share you as soon as I get) the jvm crashes within 10-15 minutes;
Thread-count=150
Itr-2: If we attach a commercial tool (forget the name-it something like yourjdk... will share you as soon as I get) the jvm crashes within 50-55 minutes;
Thread-count=300
Itr-3: If we attach a commercial tool (forget the name-it something like yourjdk... will share you as soon as I get) the jvm crashes within 50-55 minutes;
Thread-count=30
Itr-4: The commercial tool was disconnected from jvm monitoring and started the load with thread-count=30; & last few hours before checked it's was running;monitoring with jvisualvm.

Regards
Mahu

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.