Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au> on 2002/05/01 18:19:13 UTC

Re: properties

Hello devs.

Does the near-silence on this one signify consent?

Peter

Re: properties

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 May 2002 18:19, Peter B. West wrote:
>
>>Does the near-silence on this one signify consent?
>

> I don't know enough about this to give meaningful advice, so in my case yes,
> silence means consent.

Yes, it ought to be a reasonable idea.

J.Pietschmann

Re: properties

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Wednesday 01 May 2002 18:19, Peter B. West wrote:
> Does the near-silence on this one signify consent?

I don't know enough about this to give meaningful advice, so in my case yes,
silence means consent.

- Bertrand

Re: properties

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Karen Lease wrote:

>Peter,
>
>I see you've committed all your stuff. Great! I hope to be able to take
>a look at it, in particular the properties-related stuff, but I'm not
>setting any dates, as May is going to be rather hectic, due to some
>non-FOP and non-work related activities I'm involved in.

When you do look, you may be immediately interested in the changes to
the parser and tokenizer, and the handling of complex property
expressions. In Properties.java some of the properties define a
complex() method for interpreting the results from the parser. These
methods are accessed through the pseudo-array complexMethods in
PropertyConsts.java. I hae made quite a few extensions to the tokenizer
and the parser after a rethink of exactly what types were being returned.

With complex properties, I eventually gave up on trying to define a
common set of elements which would deal with all of the cases, and
particularised them using the complex() method. I plan to take a similar
approach with the Auto datatype (yes, datatype.)

>Although I'm sure I'll have an opinion, I don't have any more vested
>interest in this area than any other FOP developer, so you certainly
>don't need to wait on my reaction!
>
>My feeling is that the current scheme does a lot of stuff fine, but
>doesn't do everything. Of the things it doesn't do, some are just due to
>incomplete implementation; others are perhaps due to fundamental flaws
>(perhaps layout-related value evaluations, but this is a general
>problem).
>
>As for the build system for the property maker classes, which I recall
>you discussing with Arved a few weeks ago, I agree that it's rather
>complex. However aside from having giving me some XSL practice, it did
>make it possible to quickly introduce changes into the whole "Maker"
>scheme such as handling of corresponding and (to a limited degree)
>shorthand forms. I don't at all agree that generating code with XML/XSL
>is a bad practice; in general languages are always evolving to a higher
>level of abstraction, and this is just another step in that ladder, much
>like IDL for defining interfaces.

I'm all for high levels of abstraction, as long as the result is also
complete; that I have all of the expressiveness I need to solve the
problems I face. IDL is, I think, a bit different from the case of code
generated for purely internal consumption.

I don't want to sound too negative about, in particular, your efforts,
but I see that there is an increasing amount of XSL-generated code out
there in the wider world, and I think it's a maintenance disaster in the
making. If your language won't do it, either get a new language or live
with the limitations. (I confess that I have never been one for living
with the limitations - e.g. statics - but it's a case of do what I say,
not what I do.)

Peter

Re: properties

Posted by Karen Lease <kl...@club-internet.fr>.

[...]