Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@apache.org> on 2009/12/07 14:49:03 UTC

[VOTE] Release of POI 3.6

Hi All,

I have built a release candidate for POI-3.6. Please test-drive and vote.

The release artifacts can be downloaded from  http://people.apache.org/~yegor/POI-3.6/
A staging Maven repository containing the artifacts to be released is http://people.apache.org/~yegor/m2-repository/

The revision number of the release is r887879 and tagged as REL_3_6 on Dec 7 2009.

Please note that POI-3.6 includes new jars and Maven artifacts:

   (1) poi-ooxml-schemas
   This is a 'lite' version of ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar. This jar replaces the big ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar in the binary
distributions and Maven POMs.

   (2) poi-examples - This jar includes merged examples (main, scratchpad and ooxml). Users requested it several times
and I don't see why we should not distribute it.

   (3) Maven distribution now includes sources. Each individual JAR is accompanied by a -sources.jar:

	poi-3.6-sources-20091214.jar
	poi-contrib-3.6-sources-20091214.jar
	poi-ooxml-3.6-sources-20091214.jar
	poi-scratchpad-3.6-sources-20091214.jar
	poi-examples-3.6-sources-20091214.jar

The vote options are:

[ ]+1  - I support the release
[ ] 0  - I don't care
[ ]-1  - I'm opposed to the release because...

I'm voting [+1]. Voting will last 7 days and end on Monday, December 14.

Yegor

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.6

Posted by Josh Micich <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1
The artifacts look OK to me

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.6

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.
Hi Yegor,

> I have built a release candidate for POI-3.6. Please test-drive and
> vote.

I have checked the release and I have a few questions.

(1) You have labeled the version as 3.6 without using the -FINAL
label. I am +1 to this and would even agree to drop the date on
FINALs. I think this change should be mentioned here and in the
documentation changes.

(2) I noticed these five files are missing the ASF license notice:

src/java/org/apache/poi/hssf/record/BiffHeaderInput.java
src/java/org/apache/poi/hssf/record/crypto/Biff8EncryptionKey.java
src/java/org/apache/poi/hssf/record/formula/functions/Days360.java
src/ooxml/testcases/org/apache/poi/xwpf/usermodel/TestXWPFHeadings.java
src/testcases/org/apache/poi/poifs/storage/RawDataUtil.java

I  fixed these in r890089.

Does anyone have a problem releasing without these files fixed in the
source distro? Most are recent additions and all were added in the
last year.

(3) In the LICENSE file there is this section which mentions ooxml-
schemas.

> Office Open XML schemas (ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar)
>
>     The Office Open XML schema definitions used by Apache POI are
>     a part of the Office Open XML ECMA Specification (ECMA-376, [1]).
>     As defined in section 9.4 of the ECMA bylaws [2], this
> specification
>     is available to all interested parties without restriction:

Should this part of the LICENSE mention the new poi-ooxml-schemas? I
think the only place in the external documentation we mention the
relationship between ooxml-schemas and poi-ooxml-schemas explicitly is
on my updated overview.xml. Probably mentioning this on the download
and index is sufficient. It is also implicit in the names, and it is
certainly part of the build.xml.

(4) In testing the source distro I did "ant dist" and this fails
because the maven directory is missing. This is more a flaw in the
documentation on howtobuild.xml. The dist row was removed in r890089.
I don't think it should be mentioned other than in the release guide
notes. I don't see anyone but the release manager building this
target. Nick am I wrong? Even if you use the target in your nightly
builds it does not need to be mentioned on the website. Either way it
does not matter for the release.

> The release artifacts can be downloaded from  http://people.apache.org/~yegor/POI-3.6/
> A staging Maven repository containing the artifacts to be released
> is http://people.apache.org/~yegor/m2-repository/
>
> The revision number of the release is r887879 and tagged as REL_3_6
> on Dec 7 2009.
>
> Please note that POI-3.6 includes new jars and Maven artifacts:
>
>  (1) poi-ooxml-schemas
>  This is a 'lite' version of ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar. This jar
> replaces the big ooxml-schemas-1.0.jar in the binary distributions
> and Maven POMs.

(5) I had documentation changes ready for this that had not been
committed and are not part of the docs directory in the release
distributions.  I committed changes with r890085 this morning - the
change is to overview.xml. The latest release is mentioned on this
page and you will want to change this as you rebuild the site for the
release.

I think that the release will need changes in src/documentation/xdocs
to these files: index.xml, download.xml and overview.xml.

For future FINAL releases we should have a policy of discussing the
announcement and documentation changes BEFORE building and voting on a
release distribution.

>  (2) poi-examples - This jar includes merged examples (main,
> scratchpad and ooxml). Users requested it several times and I don't
> see why we should not distribute it.

+1 to include these.

>  (3) Maven distribution now includes sources. Each individual JAR is
> accompanied by a -sources.jar:
>
> 	poi-3.6-sources-20091214.jar
> 	poi-contrib-3.6-sources-20091214.jar
> 	poi-ooxml-3.6-sources-20091214.jar
> 	poi-scratchpad-3.6-sources-20091214.jar
> 	poi-examples-3.6-sources-20091214.jar

+1

> The vote options are:
>
> [X]+1  - I support the release
> [ ] 0  - I don't care
> [ ]-1  - I'm opposed to the release because...
>
> I'm voting [+1]. Voting will last 7 days and end on Monday, December
> 14.

I am voting +1 to release POI 3.6

I don't think any of my questions block the release. I think Gianugo
would call this a couple of drops of coffee in the saucer. Feel free
to vote -1 if you disagree.

Let's discuss the release announcement in a separate thread.

Regards,
Dave

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.6

Posted by Anita T <an...@comviva.com>.
Hi

I need to copy a XSSFSheet from one XSSFWorkbook to an other XSSFWorkbook.
How can I do that?
same with HSSFWorkbook.
It will be very great help if you can provide me a solution for this. I have
been trying to play around the source code of 3.5 to achieve this. But could
not achieve anything regarding this.

Thanks in advance

Anita

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.6

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.
The vote has passed.

The vote thread is
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/poi-dev/200912.mbox/%3C4B152B5B.70206@dinom.ru%3E

Three +1 votes, one 0 vote, zero -1 votes

Three PMC Votes.

Yegor

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.6

Posted by Anita T <an...@comviva.com>.
Hi

Re: [VOTE] Release of POI 3.6

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Yegor Kozlov wrote:
> The vote options are:

I'm +0. I have a slight preference for rolling a new release with the few
recent fixes for headers, build files etc, but I don't think they're
quite serious enough to trigger a -1

Nick