Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by theshz <th...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/19 02:07:44 UTC

[users@httpd] Password protecting a directory without .htaccess

Hi, I'm trying to password protect a directory. The usual approach is to use
.htaccess files, which requires BasicAuthentication. The problem I have is
that my website already has a custom login/logout feature, so I can't ask
the user to type in name/password again to access the protected directory.
When the user is logged in, I'm keeping a variable in the session to
indicate that, I'd like to check this variable to allow/disallow access to
the directory. How can I achieve this?

(This seems to be the common feature out there, I think very few are using
the BasicAuthentication's usual popup window to enter name/password, instead
almost every site has their own login/logout page. How do they allow access
to some static contents?)

Thanks.

theshz