Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/11/25 20:04:04 UTC

Automating site and build updates

Danny,

> As I've said before, if someone has a machine on which
> they can make *clean* builds and can upload them to
> their home dir on cvs.apache

I have a system we can do that on, and I am willing to setup a separate copy
of the CVS for doing clean builds.  I could probably use some help
automating the process.

Right now, I have cvs and ssh setup to use pki, so interactive login
shouldn't be an issue.  What I'd need to do is have a cron job that updates
from the cvs, does the build, and then either [produces the files and uses
scp to move them to a directory under ~noel], or sends e-mail regarding the
build failure.  If there are no changes in the CVS, I suppose that it
shouldn't actually do anything.

Do you have something suitable?

I suppose that once we've adopted Maven and/or Forrest, we can enhance the
script(s) to do the web site updates, too.

> 1/ IMO it helps if you change the name of the archive files
     in build.xml to include either a date or a version [...]

> 2/ Then TAG the HEAD with this command in the root of
     jakarta-james:cvs tag <version>

Let's just put it into the scripts.

But in the meantime, we still need to get that Milestone build posted
manually from Peter's directory.  :-)

	--- Noel

Re: Automating site and build updates

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Nicola,
>
> Where does Forrest run?  My understanding is that it would be running on my
> build machine, rather than nagoya, which is what was behind my comment.

It can be, which BTW Andy is doing (acoliver at apache.org has a script
ready using Centipede BTW), but we are musing over making it run itself
as a single Forrest run for all sites that ask for it.

Forrest had been running as a test on outerthought.net, but now we still
have to understand-decide where to run it now.
Latest possibility is to use Gump, which has a feature that can make it
publish stuff, but IIRC it's not yet ready for prime time.

> 	--- Noel

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: Automating site and build updates

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.