Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com> on 2006/08/07 16:51:03 UTC

URIBL and SURBL no lnger hitting

Good morning,

I noticed this morning that I am no longer hitting any URIBL and SURBL.
I did a test,

host -tTXT test.uribl.com.multi.uribl.com

and got the proper response. I also ran

spamassassin -D < testemail.txt

which is a message with a URI known in the URIBL list and it provided
the following,

[11340] dbg: plugin:
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x8a19be0) implements 'check_tick'
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: select found no socks ready
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries completed: 0 started: 0
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries active: DNSBL=2 NS=1 at Mon Aug  7
10:23:12 2006
[11340] dbg: check: running tests for priority: 500
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: select found no socks ready
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries completed: 0 started: 0
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries active: DNSBL=2 NS=1 at Mon Aug  7
10:23:13 2006
[11340] dbg: dns: success for 0 of 2 queries
[11340] dbg: dns: timeout for NO_DNS_FOR_FROM after 15 seconds
[11340] dbg: dns: timeout for NO_DNS_FOR_FROM after 15 seconds
[11340] dbg: plugin:
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x8a19be0) implements
'check_post_dnsbl'
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: select found no socks ready
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries completed: 0 started: 0
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries active: DNSBL=2 NS=1 at Mon Aug  7
10:23:26 2006
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: waiting 2 seconds for URIDNSBL lookups to complete
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: select found no socks ready
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries completed: 0 started: 0
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries active: DNSBL=2 NS=1 at Mon Aug  7
10:23:28 2006
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: done waiting for URIDNSBL lookups to complete
[11340] dbg: uridnsbl: aborting remaining lookups

Oddly the only thing I have changed is I began running sa-update. So out
of curiosity I moved my updates.spamassassin.org* out to /tmp and reran
the debug, same results. Logs show the last time I was getting hits was
4 days ago.

What have I done wrong?

DAve

Veterans?

Re: URIBL and SURBL no lnger hitting

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.
DAve wrote:
> DAve wrote:
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I noticed this morning that I am no longer hitting any URIBL and
>> SURBL. I did a test,
>>
>> host -tTXT test.uribl.com.multi.uribl.com
>>
>> and got the proper response. I also ran
>>
>> spamassassin -D < testemail.txt
>>
>> which is a message with a URI known in the URIBL list and it provided
>> the following,
>>
>> [11340] dbg: plugin:
>> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x8a19be0) implements
>> 'check_tick'
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: select found no socks ready
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries completed: 0 started: 0
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries active: DNSBL=2 NS=1 at Mon Aug  7
>> 10:23:12 2006
>> [11340] dbg: check: running tests for priority: 500
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: select found no socks ready
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries completed: 0 started: 0
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries active: DNSBL=2 NS=1 at Mon Aug  7
>> 10:23:13 2006
>> [11340] dbg: dns: success for 0 of 2 queries
>> [11340] dbg: dns: timeout for NO_DNS_FOR_FROM after 15 seconds
>> [11340] dbg: dns: timeout for NO_DNS_FOR_FROM after 15 seconds
>> [11340] dbg: plugin:
>> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::URIDNSBL=HASH(0x8a19be0) implements
>> 'check_post_dnsbl'
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: select found no socks ready
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries completed: 0 started: 0
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries active: DNSBL=2 NS=1 at Mon Aug  7
>> 10:23:26 2006
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: waiting 2 seconds for URIDNSBL lookups to complete
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: select found no socks ready
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries completed: 0 started: 0
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: queries active: DNSBL=2 NS=1 at Mon Aug  7
>> 10:23:28 2006
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: done waiting for URIDNSBL lookups to complete
>> [11340] dbg: uridnsbl: aborting remaining lookups
>>
>> Oddly the only thing I have changed is I began running sa-update. So
>> out of curiosity I moved my updates.spamassassin.org* out to /tmp and
>> reran the debug, same results. Logs show the last time I was getting
>> hits was 4 days ago.
>>
>> What have I done wrong?
>>
>> DAve
>>

> I should have included this in the debug output.
>
> [23441] dbg: dns: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? yes
> [23441] dbg: dns: Net::DNS version: 0.57
>
> DAve

OK, I'm digging now, Yahoo and Google show nothing useful. I did install
the ImageInfo plugin so I will take it back out see what happens.
Searching the archives again.

I'm running SA 3.1.1
No spamc/spamd (called from MailScanner)
Installed as FreeBSD port on FreeBSD 5

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.
Logan Shaw wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, DAve wrote:
>> Dhawal Doshy wrote:
>>> Dave, you might need to update the 'root/servers/@' file. IIRC, a
>>> couple of root servers have changed in the past few years.
>
>> We replace the @ file with one of our own on every server. I contains
>> just our dns servers and our own caches.
>
> Silly question, and veering off topic, but if you take away
> the list of root servers, how do your nameservers find things?
> If you want to find a node in a tree (or in a directed acyclic
> graph) it helps to start at the root (or roots).  If your
> local DNS server doesn't have any way of finding the root,
> how can it find the nodes it needs to find?
>
> I suppose it's possible your organization's DNS servers and
> caches are giving authoritative responses for the "." domain.
> Is that what you're saying?
>
>   - Logan

It depends on why you are using dnscache.

I am talking about running dnscache only for certain services "on the
box" such as SA URIDNSBL lookups, Webalizer lookup on Apache logs, RBL
checks at SMTP connect, etc.

I simply want to retain and reuse the results of querying my own DNS
servers without making a network connection outside my PIX (mailScanners
inside, DNS servers outside).

Do you have the list of root servers in your mail server's /etc/resolv.conf?

Posted by Logan Shaw <ls...@emitinc.com>.

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.
Dhawal Doshy wrote:
> DAve wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> If it happens again I'll have some logs, provided I catch it in time,
>> dnscache makes logs like bunnies make more bunnies.
>>
>> Until then I'm inclined to think it was a resource issue or anomaly on
>> my system rather than an issue with SA or dnscache. I run dnscache on
>> all my web/mail/SA/ftp servers on FreeBSD, Linux, and Solaris. Never
>> had the slightest issue with any software making dns queries through it.
>>
>> DAve
>
> Dave, you might need to update the 'root/servers/@' file. IIRC, a couple
> of root servers have changed in the past few years.
>
> - dhawal

We replace the @ file with one of our own on every server. I contains
just our dns servers and our own caches.

I know what you're thinking. I checked my DNS servers first and found
them with plenty of resources, that is why I took dnscache out of
/etc/resolv.conf yesterday, and then discovered the problem.

Posted by Dhawal Doshy <dh...@netmagicsolutions.com>.

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: URIBL and SURBL no lnger hitting

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.
Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 8, 2006, 7:53:45 AM, Rick Macdougall wrote:
>
>> Unlikely to be a dnscache issue.  I run over 10 SA servers, all with
>> local djb dnscaches.
>
> Aha, but do you use Linux or FreeBSD?
>
> I can't remember the details but I remember a FreeBSD/SA issue
> recently.

Hi,

Both.  FreeBSD v4.8 - v6.0, Slackware, Centos and Fedora.

No problems on any of them.

Regards,

Rick

Re: URIBL and SURBL no lnger hitting

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by Rick Macdougall <ri...@ummm-beer.com>.
Jeff Chan wrote:
> On Monday, August 7, 2006, 1:56:41 PM, DAve DAve wrote:
>> In frustration I edited /etc/resolv.conf and removed 127.0.0.1, URI
>> lookups are completing and MailScanner is blasting through the queues on
>> both machines exceedingly fast now.
>
>> No idea what could have possibly changed, dnscache is normally
>> bulletproof. I run it on a dozen servers as a local cache, it is a
>> standard install on all my servers and all installs share the same
>> config. Especially since dig worked, and still works to 127.0.0.1.
>
> Perhaps there's an incompatability between dnscache and the way
> SA 3.1 does DNSBL queries.  Please open a bugzilla about it:
>
>   http://issues.apache.org/SpamAssassin/
>
> Jeff C.

Hi,

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.
DAve wrote:
> DAve wrote:

>>> iirc (may not ...), there were some Net::DNS version issues causing
>>> probs.
>>>
>>> perhaps try upgrading Net::DNS:
>>>
>>> % perl -e 'use Net::DNS; print $Net::DNS::VERSION,"\n"'
>>>     0.58
>>>
>>> richard
>>
>> I found a few messages of interest. One concerning teh ClamAV plugin,
>> which I don't use though I have just installed the ImageInfo plugin. I
>> removed it no change. I also found another message reporting a bug in
>> URIDNSBL lookups. I don't think that is affecting me because it
>> concerned the check loop finishing before the timeout. I can certainly
>> see my timeout, it takes a full minutes before spamassassin -D --lint
>> < testemail.txt will finish.
>>
>> I've seen no recent messages about Net::DNS.
>>
>> Not sure where to go next. The delay in SA is causing my mail to
>> backup.  Though I threw some more children at MailScanner and it is
>> catching up now, slowly.
>>
>> Dig works, host works. Not sure why SA can't get a lookup. I've
>> restarted dnscache several times, and I have my normal dns servers
>> listed under 127.0.0.1 in /etc/resolv.conf.
>>
>> DAve
>>

> [63142] dbg: dns: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? yes
> [63142] dbg: dns: Net::DNS version: 0.58
> [63142] dbg: uridnsbl: done waiting for URIDNSBL lookups to complete
> [63142] dbg: uridnsbl: aborting remaining lookups
>
> No change, still cannot complete uridnsbl lookups.
>
> But... this works.
> dig dadixus.com.multi.uribl.com
>
> I really hate spammers today. Really, really, hate spammers. Castration
> is too good for them. This last upgrade of SA and MailScanner has been
> brutal.
>
> I've no idea where to look next.
>
> DAve

In frustration I edited /etc/resolv.conf and removed 127.0.0.1, URI
lookups are completing and MailScanner is blasting through the queues on
both machines exceedingly fast now.

No idea what could have possibly changed, dnscache is normally
bulletproof. I run it on a dozen servers as a local cache, it is a
standard install on all my servers and all installs share the same
config. Especially since dig worked, and still works to 127.0.0.1.

Very odd.

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.

Posted by Richard <op...@gmail.com>.