Posted to dev@tiles.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/20 16:19:25 UTC

What is a "component"?

Hi all!
I know that the subject line is a bit cryptic, but I will try to explain it.
Currently Tiles codebase refers to a lot of "Component" classes:
ComponentDefinition, ComponentDefinitions, ComponentDefinitionsImpl,
ComponentAttribute, ComponentContext, ComponentConstants,
ComponentContextMutator.
I hope that I did not forget anyone :-)
Now the question is: what is the concept of a "component"? Is it
simply a remnant from the Struts-Tiles code?
I think that these classes should be renamed, but I think that a bit
of brainstorming is needed.
Here are my suggestions:
ComponentDefinition - Definition
ComponentDefinitions - DefinitionGroup (help me, I did not find a
better name :-)
ComponentDefinitionsImpl - DefinitionGroupImpl
ComponentAttribute - Attribute
ComponentContext - TilesRenderContext (because it is used during
rendering Tiles pieces).
ComponentConstants - Globals
ComponentContextMutator - TilesRenderContextMutator.

Let's improve this list, or give a reason for "Component" concept to exist.

TIA
Antonio

Re: What is a "component"?

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 3/20/07, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now the question is: what is the concept of a "component"? Is it
> simply a remnant from the Struts-Tiles code?

Yes, I don't know if it came from further back - the Struts Template library
or if it came in with Tiles.

I think that these classes should be renamed,

Agreed :-)

> ComponentDefinitions - DefinitionGroup (help me, I did not find a
> better name :-)

Definitions?

ComponentDefinitionsImpl - DefinitionGroupImpl

DefinitionsImpl

> ComponentConstants - Globals

I prefer Constants.  I don't like the word Globals :-)

Greg

Re: What is a "component"?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
So after the brainstorming, here is the result:
http://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/TILES-141

It's still there the question about ComponentDefinitions, that for the
moment I have planned to rename "Definitions" as suggested by Greg.
And I forgot about ComponentListAttribute, that (probably) will be
renamed to ListAttribute.

Feel free to add comments to this thread or to the issue.

Thank you all
Antonio

Re: What is a "component"?

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Nathan Bubna wrote:
> I hadn't thought about this before, but i think you're right that
> using the word component everywhere is unnecessary, as it is implicit
> and everything is still clear to me without it.  more specific
> comments below...
>
> On 3/20/07, Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all!
>> I know that the subject line is a bit cryptic, but I will try to
>> explain it.
>> Currently Tiles codebase refers to a lot of "Component" classes:
>> ComponentDefinition, ComponentDefinitions, ComponentDefinitionsImpl,
>> ComponentAttribute, ComponentContext, ComponentConstants,
>> ComponentContextMutator.
>> I hope that I did not forget anyone :-)
>> Now the question is: what is the concept of a "component"? Is it
>> simply a remnant from the Struts-Tiles code?
>> I think that these classes should be renamed, but I think that a bit
>> of brainstorming is needed.

+1

>> Here are my suggestions:
>> ComponentDefinition - Definition
>> ComponentDefinitions - DefinitionGroup (help me, I did not find a
>> better name :-)

+1

> sorry, nothing better comes to mind yet.
>
>> ComponentDefinitionsImpl - DefinitionGroupImpl
>> ComponentAttribute - Attribute
>> ComponentContext - TilesRenderContext (because it is used during
>> rendering Tiles pieces).
>
> i'd prefer AttributeContext, as that's what it contains.

+1, I prefer AttributeContext as well.

>> ComponentConstants - Globals
>
> why not just Constants?  i'd prefer to keep it closer to the original,
> to minimize confusion.

+1 for Constants.

>> ComponentContextMutator - TilesRenderContextMutator.
>
> AttributeContextMutator

+1

David

Re: What is a "component"?