Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> on 2011/10/12 02:13:33 UTC

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Hi Jignesh,
0.20.204.0 does not have hflush/sync support, but 0.20.205.0 does.
Without HDFS hsync, HBase will still work, but is subject to data loss if
the datanode is restarted.  In 205, this deficiency is fixed.

0.20.205.0-rc2 is up for vote in common-dev@.  Please try it out with HBase
:-)
We've been using it with HBase 0.90.3 and it works, with some config
adjustments.

--Matt, RM for 0.20.205.0

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Matt,

I'd like to re-enforce the inquiry about posting (or blogging perhaps ;) details
about Hbase/0.20.205 coexistence. I am sure lotta people will benefit from
this.

Thanks in advance,
  Cos

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by jigneshmpatel <ji...@gmail.com>.
Another thing I am using hadoop in psuedo single node server. But even if I
don't start Hbase I will have same error.

ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ZooKeeperConnectionException: HBase is able
to connect to ZooKeeper but the connection closes immediately. This could be
a sign that the server has too many connections (30 is the default).
Consider inspecting your ZK server logs for that error and then make sure
you are reusing HBaseConfiguration as often as you can. See HTable's javadoc
for more information.

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Jignesh,
the option is --config (with a double dash) not -config (with a single
dash).  Please let me know if that works.

--Matt

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.
Cool Everything is good now after copying commons-configuration.jar file.

No need to start zookeeper or master. Only start hbase-start.sh and everything works. I see my status changed,

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.
At last I move one step further. It was a problem with the hadoop jar file. I need to replace hadoop-core-xx.jar in base/lib with hadoop/lib.
After replacing it I got following error:

2011-10-14 17:09:12,409 FATAL org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster: Unhandled exception. Starting shutdown.
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/commons/configuration/Configuration
	at org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.lib.DefaultMetricsSystem.<init>(DefaultMetricsSystem.java:37)
	at org.apache.hadoop.metrics2.lib.DefaultMetricsSystem.<clinit>(DefaultMetricsSystem.java:34)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UgiInstrumentation.create(UgiInstrumentation.java:51)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.initialize(UserGroupInformation.java:196)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.ensureInitialized(UserGroupInformation.java:159)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.isSecurityEnabled(UserGroupInformation.java:216)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.KerberosName.<clinit>(KerberosName.java:83)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.initialize(UserGroupInformation.java:189)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.ensureInitialized(UserGroupInformation.java:159)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.isSecurityEnabled(UserGroupInformation.java:216)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.getLoginUser(UserGroupInformation.java:409)
	at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.getCurrentUser(UserGroupInformation.java:395)
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem$Cache$Key.<init>(FileSystem.java:1436)
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem$Cache.get(FileSystem.java:1337)
	at org.apache.hadoop.fs.Path.getFileSystem(Path.java:187)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.FSUtils.getRootDir(FSUtils.java:364)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.MasterFileSystem.<init>(MasterFileSystem.java:81)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.finishInitialization(HMaster.java:346)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMaster.run(HMaster.java:282)
	at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.master.HMasterCommandLine$LocalHMaster.run(HMasterCommandLine.java:193)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:680)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.configuration.Configuration
	... 22 more

On Oct 14, 2011, at 3:35 PM, Jignesh Patel wrote:

> Can somebody help me to work Hadoop 0.20.205.0 and Hbase 0.90.4 in pseudo mode. This is third day in a row and I am not able to make it run.
>
> The details are as follows
>
> http://pastebin.com/KrJePt64
>

> If this is not going to work then let me know which version I should use to get it run.
>
> On Oct 14, 2011, at 2:46 PM, Jignesh Patel wrote:
>

>> On Oct 14, 2011, at 2:44 PM, Jignesh Patel wrote:
>>
>>> According to start-hase.sh if distributed mode=flase then I am supposed to start only masters it doesn't required to start zookeeper, see the script below from the file.
>>>
>>> if [ "$distMode" == 'false' ]
>>> then
>>>   "$bin"/hbase-daemon.sh start master
>>> else
>>>   "$bin"/hbase-daemons.sh --config "${HBASE_CONF_DIR}" start zookeeper
>>>   "$bin"/hbase-daemon.sh --config "${HBASE_CONF_DIR}" start master
>>>   "$bin"/hbase-daemons.sh --config "${HBASE_CONF_DIR}" \
>>>     --hosts "${HBASE_REGIONSERVERS}" start regionserver
>>>   "$bin"/hbase-daemons.sh --config "${HBASE_CONF_DIR}" \
>>>     --hosts "${HBASE_BACKUP_MASTERS}" start master-backup
>>> fi
>>>
>>> According to above script the zookeeper is not required to start as I am not running server in distributed mode but in pseudo mode. But then it is giving error for zookeeper is not able to connect.
>>
>> -Jignesh
>>>

>>> is supposed to start zookeeper and master as per the
>>>
>>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Ramya Sunil [via Lucene] <ml...@n3.nabble.com> wrote:
>>> Jignesh,
>>>
>>> I have been able to deploy Hbase 0.90.3 and 0.90.4 with hadoop-0.20.205.
>>> Below are the steps I followed:
>>>
>>> 1. Make sure none of hbasemaster, regionservers or zookeeper are running. As
>>> Matt pointed out, turn on append.
>>> 2. hbase-daemon.sh --config $HBASE_CONF_DIR start zookeeper
>>> 3. hbase-daemon.sh --config $HBASE_CONF_DIR start master
>>> 4. hbase-daemon.sh --config $HBASE_CONF_DIR start regionserver

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.
Ramya,

I have followed the steps you mention but in this steps I don't see you starting hbase.
I have followed step 1,2 and 3.
Here is how my hdfs-site.xml looks.

<configuration>
     <property>
         <name>dfs.replication</name>
         <value>1</value>
           <description>Default block replication.
  The actual number of replications can be specified when the file is created.
  The default is used if replication is not specified in create time.
 		 </description>
     </property>
     <property>
     	<name>dfs.support.append</name>
     	<value>true</value>
     </property>

      <property>
        <name>dfs.datanode.max.xcievers</name>
        <value>4096</value>
      </property>

</configuration>

For the step 4 I got following message which is ok as I am running in pseudo mode.

starting regionserver, logging to /Users/hadoop-user/hadoop-hbase/bin/../logs/hbase-hadoop-user-regionserver-Jignesh-MacBookPro.local.out
11/10/14 10:25:55 WARN regionserver.HRegionServerCommandLine: Not starting a distinct region server because hbase.cluster.distributed is false

then when I have tried to start base - bin/start-hbase.sh --config ./config I have same old error.

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Ramya Sunil <ra...@hortonworks.com>.
Jignesh,

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.
Is there a way to resolve this weird problem.

> bin/hbase-start.sh is supposed to start zookeeper but it doesn't start. But on the other side if zookeeper up and running then it says

> Couldnt start ZK at requested address of 2181, instead got: 2182. Aborting. Why? Because clients (eg shell) wont be able to find this ZK quorum

On Oct 13, 2011, at 5:40 PM, Jignesh Patel wrote:

> Ok now the problem is
>
> if I only use bin/hbase-start.sh then it doesn't start zookeeper.
>
> But if I use bin/hbase-daemon.sh start zookeeper before starting bin/hbase-start.sh then it will try to start zookeeper at port 2181 and then I have following error.
>
> Couldnt start ZK at requested address of 2181, instead got: 2182. Aborting. Why? Because clients (eg shell) wont be able to find this ZK quorum
>

> So I am wondering if bin/hbase-start.sh is trying to start zookeeper then while zookeeper is not running it should start the zookeeper. I only get the error if zookeeper already running.
>

> -Jignesh
>

> On Oct 13, 2011, at 4:53 PM, Ramya Sunil wrote:
>
>> You already have zookeeper running on 2181 according to your jps output.
>> That is the reason, master seems to be complaining.
>> Can you please stop zookeeper, verify that no daemons are running on 2181
>> and restart your master?
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Ramya,
>>>

>>> Based on "Hbase the definite guide" it seems zookeeper being started by
>>> hbase no need to start it separately(may be this is changed for 0.90.4.
>>> Anyways now  following is the updated status.
>>>
>>> Jignesh-MacBookPro:hadoop-hbase hadoop-user$ bin/start-hbase.sh
>>> starting master, logging to
>>> /users/hadoop-user/hadoop-hbase/logs/hbase-hadoop-user-master-Jignesh-MacBookPro.local.out
>>> Couldnt start ZK at requested address of 2181, instead got: 2182. Aborting.
>>> Why? Because clients (eg shell) wont be able to find this ZK quorum
>>> Jignesh-MacBookPro:hadoop-hbase hadoop-user$ jps
>>> 41486 HQuorumPeer
>>> 38814 SecondaryNameNode
>>> 41578 Jps
>>> 38878 JobTracker
>>> 38726 DataNode
>>> 38639 NameNode

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.
Ok now the problem is

if I only use bin/hbase-start.sh then it doesn't start zookeeper.

But if I use bin/hbase-daemon.sh start zookeeper before starting bin/hbase-start.sh then it will try to start zookeeper at port 2181 and then I have following error.

Couldnt start ZK at requested address of 2181, instead got: 2182. Aborting. Why? Because clients (eg shell) wont be able to find this ZK quorum

So I am wondering if bin/hbase-start.sh is trying to start zookeeper then while zookeeper is not running it should start the zookeeper. I only get the error if zookeeper already running.

-Jignesh

On Oct 13, 2011, at 4:53 PM, Ramya Sunil wrote:

> You already have zookeeper running on 2181 according to your jps output.
> That is the reason, master seems to be complaining.
> Can you please stop zookeeper, verify that no daemons are running on 2181
> and restart your master?
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Ramya,
>>

>> Based on "Hbase the definite guide" it seems zookeeper being started by
>> hbase no need to start it separately(may be this is changed for 0.90.4.
>> Anyways now  following is the updated status.
>>
>> Jignesh-MacBookPro:hadoop-hbase hadoop-user$ bin/start-hbase.sh
>> starting master, logging to
>> /users/hadoop-user/hadoop-hbase/logs/hbase-hadoop-user-master-Jignesh-MacBookPro.local.out
>> Couldnt start ZK at requested address of 2181, instead got: 2182. Aborting.
>> Why? Because clients (eg shell) wont be able to find this ZK quorum
>> Jignesh-MacBookPro:hadoop-hbase hadoop-user$ jps
>> 41486 HQuorumPeer
>> 38814 SecondaryNameNode
>> 41578 Jps
>> 38878 JobTracker
>> 38726 DataNode
>> 38639 NameNode
>> 38964 TaskTracker
>>
>> On Oct 13, 2011, at 3:23 PM, Ramya Sunil wrote:
>>
>>> Jignesh,
>>>
>>> I dont see zookeeper running on your master. My cluster reads the
>> following:
>>>
>>> $ jps
>>> 15315 Jps
>>> 13590 HMaster

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Ramya Sunil <ra...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.
Ramya,

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Ramya Sunil <ra...@hortonworks.com>.
Jignesh,

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Ramya Sunil <ra...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Jignesh,

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
You'll need two hyphens before 'config'.

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.
Actually real problem is here

http://pastebin.com/jyvpivt6

Moreover I didn't find any command like -config.

-Jignesh

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by giridharan kesavan <gk...@hortonworks.com>.
Jignesh,

--
-Giri

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Ramya Sunil <ra...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Jignesh,

I have been running quite a few hbase tests on Hadoop 0.20.205 without any
issues on both secure and non secure clusters.

I have seen the error you mentioned when one has not specified the hbase
config directory.

Can you please try "hbase --config <path to hbase config directory> shell"
and check if that solves the problem?

Thanks
Ramya

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Jignesh,

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.

Re: Hbase with Hadoop

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Vinod Gupta Tankala
<tv...@readypulse.com> wrote:
> its free and open source too.. basically, their releases are ahead of public
> releases of hadoop/hbase - from what i understand, major bug fixes and
> enhancements are checked in to their branch first and then eventually make
> it to public release branches.

You've got it a bit backwards - except for very rare exceptions, we
check our fixes into the public ASF codebase before we commit anything
to CDH releases. Sometimes, it will show up in a CDH release before an
ASF release, but the changes are always done as backports from ASF'[s
subversion. You can see the list of public JIRAs referenced in our
changelists here:
http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh/3/hadoop-0.20.2+923.97.CHANGES.txt

Apologies for the vendor-specific comment: I just wanted to clarify
that Cloudera's aim is to contribute to the community and not any kind
of fork as suggested above.

Back to work on 0.23 for me!

-Todd
--