Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2011/06/19 19:14:50 UTC

Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too

I am not certain this is identified as something to deal with.

Along with the openoffice.org domain and whatever happens with that, there is also the openoffice.org affinity e-mail forwarding operation.

Is there anything in place to sustain that?

Might it be interrupted or even retired at some point?
(Not proposing, just want to ensure that someone has their eye on this.)

 - Dennis

OOo Kenai Migration Notes [Was Re: Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too]

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 20, 2011, at 3:58 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Dave Fisher wrote:
>> We certainly need a plan that does not simply stop openoffice.org
>> email.
>
> Actually, as others said I would just keep the @openoffice.org addresses
> running; to address a concern, I've used mine for many thousands of
> OOo-related actions and nobody ever questioned if I was speaking on
> behalf of OpenOffice.org or personally.

That is the concern. It is obvious when you see how many signed up for the project with openoffice.org email addresses.

>> How many individual forwards do we have?
>
> They used to be really many (in the thousands for sure) but they have
> been reduced in March 2011 with the Kenai migration to only the users
> who had been active (i.e., logged in on the OOo website) in the last (at
> the time) 18 months.

This is good to know. Last 18 months doesn't seem so terrible.

I tracked down the following http://kenai.com/projects/ooo-migration/pages/Home

This looks like a treasure chest of information about what is there and how it is organized.

Here is an important piece:

> The move is going to include services like publishing of web content, mailing lists, bugtracking,
> ... and the existing content of those.
> Satellite sites like OpenOffice.org forums, extensions and templates sites, ... will not be affected.
> A better integration might be considered later but is not part of the initial effort.

Kenai to Apache Migration Topics are:

- bugtracking
- mailing lists and forwarders.
- web content

Satellite to Apache Migration topics include:

- user forums
- extensions
- templates

Much has been written about all these and other topics in the last week.

I started a community wiki page https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Transition+Planning

Please feel free to expand! I have surely missed a lot.

>> So, ANYONE could get an openoffice.org email alias for their real
>> email address?
>
> Yes. Even squat it. But I don't think this has ever happened.
>
>> And there must be infrastructure to be able to change that email
>> address and cancel it as well.
>
> No! Changing is probably possible and done in your personal profile, but
> removing used to be impossible as far as I know (not that I ever tried).
>
>> Messy, the bugzilla transition is therefore entangled with how we deal
>> with openoffice.org.
>
> Yes, because here it's hardcoded, as others wrote.

And quite a bit - about 20 or so emails to find and summarize.

>> Does this personal openoffice.org email forwarding also entangle with
>> the user forum transitions?
>
> Not in general, but I registered to the forum with my @openoffice.org
> address, so in corner cases this could affect it.

And a reason for trying to keep them.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I'd say, generally, that this is partly a vanity/affinity e-mail domain, just as The Documentation Foundation is preparing to do for libreoffice.org (although I think you'll have to be a TDF Member to get one, not sure how high that bar will be).  It's like my @acm.org, @computer.org (when I had it), or my college alumnus .org. Except about as easy as @facebook.com, @gmail.com, etc.

I hadn't thought about all of the places that people may have provided their openoffice.org email addresses in their profiles, forum sigs, etc.  I just logged on to the site and I notice it asks for either an Username OR email address along with the password I had assigned myself.

The wiki has a different username and password (and no click-through agreement that I recall seeing when I registered the other day).

The English user forum does have a terms of use, not mentioning the overall site terms though.

Although I can choose an Username, it looks like the email address is the biggie.  Hah, I have to indicate which version of OO.o I am running on what system before I am allowed to complete the registration.  The Signature entry is scanned to ensure I've done that.  It is filtered and becomes part of my signature on Forum posts.  They are doing an e-mail confirmation too.

So more about what is on forums, what people are currently clicked-through, and the use of email addresses tied to accounts and possibly visible in profiles.

 - Dennis

AND A BIT MORE ABOUT PROPERTY OF FORUM POSTS:

At the user forum (where I just started a signup) *all* it says I am agreeing to with regard to my contribution is this:

"As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “OpenOffice.org Community Forum” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised."

There is no license mention other than to point out that phpBB is made available under the GPL.  The URI is http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/ucp.php?mode=register and its title is "Register * User Control Panel"

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
To add to what Drew says,

The Forum software also provides a cloaked e-mail interface on the profile pages of members.  That is, there is a link to create an e-mail and the forum sends it to the registered e-mail address.

 - Dennis

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Mon, 2011-06-20 at 14:00 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Jun 20, 2011, at 1:14 PM, Herbert Duerr wrote:
>
> > On 20.06.2011 14:33, Rob Weir wrote:
> >> I'm having difficulty reconciling the openoffice.org email forwarding
> >> service with how Apache projects work.
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> And remember, committers are given email forwards via an a.o email
> >> address.  So there is no functional requirement that I can see for an
> >> OOo address, other than the conventional postmaster and admin
> >> addresses.
> >>
> >> So I'd favor ending the OOo email forwarding.
> >
> > This would be very bad for e.g. issue tracking. I'm not sure how the bugtracker database will get imported though. I think it would be useful if the issue reporters, owners or people who put themselves on the CC list of an issue could see the progress of their favourite tasks. The openoffice.org addresses were used e.g. for notifications or for attributing an issue comment to a user.
>
> We certainly need a plan that does not simply stop openoffice.org email.
>
> We certainly need to make decisions based on all the email lists that currently exist - which apache.org or other mailing list is the replacement.
>
> For notifications about issues both JIRA and Bugzilla can be set to notify the proper apache.org mailing list.
>
> Does anyone have a handle on the numbers?

> How many individual forwards do we have?
>
> It would help to have some data before discussing with Infrastructure what they are willing to support and when.
>
> >> The alternative would be to continue this service, but that begs the
> >> question of who is permitted such an address, what such an address
> >> means, who decides and what criteria are used to decide who gets such
> >> an address?
> >
> > In the old project everybody who wanted to e.g. add a detail to an issue could get such an address within a few minutes. This is similar to how many other projects work, e.g. KDE.
>
> So, ANYONE could get an openoffice.org email alias for their real email address?
>
> And there must be infrastructure to be able to change that email address and cancel it as well.
>
> Messy, the bugzilla transition is therefore entangled with how we deal with openoffice.org.
>
> Does this personal openoffice.org email forwarding also entangle with the user forum transitions?

Hi

I don't think so.

The registration database is totally separate.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.
On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>wrote:

> Op 20-6-2011 14:33, Rob Weir schreef:
>
>  I'm having difficulty reconciling the openoffice.org email forwarding
>> service with how Apache projects work.
>>
>> Having such an address appears to suggest that the person is
>> representing the project,or at the very least is a member of the
>> project.  But we speak as individuals, both in the project and
>> externally.  If we're suggesting that we represent the project, then
>> that is incorrect.  There are exceptions, as outlined in the "multiple
>> hats" description [1] , where a PMC Chair or other Apache officers
>> might need to speak authoritatively on policy matters.  But that is
>> not the typical case.
>>
>> And remember, committers are given email forwards via an a.o email
>> address.  So there is no functional requirement that I can see for an
>> OOo address, other than the conventional postmaster and admin
>> addresses.
>>
>>  +1   I agree. If the same service can be delivered with a.o-email, why
> hang on to OOo-email.
>       That might complicate matters unnessisarily
>
>      DiGro@openoffice.org

-1 I think making the switch will complicate things even more.

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* Español

Re: Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too

Posted by Dick Groskamp <th...@quicknet.nl>.

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Alexandro Colorado wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 7:33 AM, Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm having difficulty reconciling the openoffice.org email forwarding
>> service with how Apache projects work.
>>
>> Having such an address appears to suggest that the person is
>> representing the project,or at the very least is a member of the
>> project.  But we speak as individuals, both in the project and
>> externally.  If we're suggesting that we represent the project, then
>> that is incorrect.  There are exceptions, as outlined in the "multiple
>> hats" description [1] , where a PMC Chair or other Apache officers
>> might need to speak authoritatively on policy matters.  But that is
>> not the typical case.
>>
>> And remember, committers are given email forwards via an a.o email
>> address.  So there is no functional requirement that I can see for an
>> OOo address, other than the conventional postmaster and admin
>> addresses.
>>
>> So I'd favor ending the OOo email forwarding.
>>
>> The alternative would be to continue this service, but that begs the
>> question of who is permitted such an address, what such an address
>> means, who decides and what criteria are used to decide who gets such
>> an address?  That seems to duplicate the kinds of questions we already
>> deal with when we look at those individuals whose contributions to the
>> project merit being voted in as Committers, and getting an a.o email
>> address.
>>
>> -Rob
>>

>> [1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#hats
>>

>> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
>> <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>>> I am not certain this is identified as something to deal with.
>>>
>>> Along with the openoffice.org domain and whatever happens with that,
>> there is also the openoffice.org affinity e-mail forwarding operation.
>>>
>>> Is there anything in place to sustain that?
>>>
>>> Might it be interrupted or even retired at some point?
>>> (Not proposing, just want to ensure that someone has their eye on this.)
>>>
>>>  - Dennis
>>>

> The email is open to anyone signed in the OOo domain in collabnet. I will
> support the idea to keep it that way. There is no distinction on what level
> of commitment you have to the project. In practice, not many people use the
> OOo domain. I did and even as an active user, very few times I have been
> inquired on how to use it by fellow project members.
>
> So my idea Rob is, lets keep it like this without giving it too much
> overthought of abuse or anything. If there was ill intend it would have been
> spoted through the 10 years of OOo history.
>
> BTW the ES project actually use several @openoffice.org accounts for
> different initiatives through it. It has never really been an issue.

I can see keeping what is there but it should be locked so no new
address are allowed.  Over time then it could be removed.

My 2 cents.

Andy

Re: Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@openoffice.org>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Rob Weir wrote on Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 08:33:55 -0400:
> I'm having difficulty reconciling the openoffice.org email forwarding
> service with how Apache projects work.

For what it's worth: subversion.org and spamassassin.org are also
controlled by (members of?) the respective PMCs.

For subversion.org we didn't use ${username}@s.o addresses.  (perhaps
except for the Corporation officers with their hats on)  I don't know if
this was a policy decision or just no one ever asked to enable this.

I don't know about SA's situation.

Re: Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 19, 2011, at 1:41 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> The Wiki is taking some time. I propose we publish a "Transition" page for the website where we communicate the many transition topics involved and the current status.
>>
>> Do we have an ETA on the wiki?
>
> I took a look at Tony Stevenson's infrastructure JIRA issues which show some of his activity. There looks to have been a critical email infra issue that had to be repaired. He currently has two unresolved issues - our CWKIs plus one for the Flume podling. Also in the unassigned list is a CWIKI for the sqoop podling. I detect some batching of requests that were in the pipeline, we are not the only petri dish in the lab!
>
> The best I can say is soon... not sure what time zone Tony is in.

Gavin has added the cwikis.  THANKS!

Assuming no unexpected trouble, I will be granting rights to known committer accounts by Monday High Noon PDT (San Francisco)

I have other commitments at the moment.

BR,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ap...@robweir.com>.

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

On 6/19/2011 11:34 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Jun 19, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:(1) Transfer domain.(Is the Foundation handling this? Anything needed from the project?)
> 	- ownership from Oracle to ASF.

This is currently in process.   And it includes multiple *openoffice*
domains.

Andrew

Re: Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Jun 19, 2011, at 10:14 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> I am not certain this is identified as something to deal with.
>
> Along with the openoffice.org domain and whatever happens with that, there is also the openoffice.org affinity e-mail forwarding operation.
>
> Is there anything in place to sustain that?
>
> Might it be interrupted or even retired at some point?
> (Not proposing, just want to ensure that someone has their eye on this.)

Good catch. I was thinking about the domain transfer workflow which is something I just went through at work.

(1) Transfer domain.(Is the Foundation handling this? Anything needed from the project?)
	- ownership from Oracle to ASF.
	- Transfer DNS records as is.

(2) Transition subdomains including
	- main page overlay
	- individual sub-domains...

Forums, Issue Tracker, Email, .... we need to build a mapping of the OOo site and the start deciding replacement and transition strategies for each/

The Wiki is taking some time. I propose we publish a "Transition" page for the website where we communicate the many transition topics involved and the current status.

I think this week has been a great start. The experience of the individuals who are here now is truly incredible. I look forward to working with you all!

Best Regards,
Dave

Re: Oh, let's not forget @openoffice.org too

Posted by Andy Brown <an...@the-martin-byrd.net>.
Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I am not certain this is identified as something to deal with.
>
> Along with the openoffice.org domain and whatever happens with that, there is also the openoffice.org affinity e-mail forwarding operation.
>
> Is there anything in place to sustain that?
>
> Might it be interrupted or even retired at some point?
> (Not proposing, just want to ensure that someone has their eye on this.)
>
>  - Dennis

I was wondering the same thing.  I have only received a few bits of mail
but some others seem to use it quite often so it needs to be dealt with.

Andy