Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Mikal sk�ren <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2007/10/04 20:27:32 UTC

Promblems with searching a field

Hi,
I am new to lucene and am currently having some problems searching an index.

so we make the index like this :

  doc.add(new Field("itno", item.getMMITNO(), Field.Store.YES,
Field.Index.TOKENIZED ));

this runs ok the index looks like this :

   [stored/uncompressed,indexed,tokenized<itno:00000002     >,

But when we try searching this field we get no hits (search is 00000002,
ItemIndexing.getAnalyzer()  == SimpleAnalyzer)

try {
            Hits hits =
indexSearcher.search(newQueryParser("itno",ItemIndexing.getAnalyzer()).parse(search));
           //Returns 0
            log.info("Size " + hits.length());
            List result = getResult(hits);
            indexSearcher.close();

            return result;
        } catch (Exception e) {

What are we doing wrong, any help would be appreciated..

Re: Promblems with searching a field

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
It's hard to say, but two things will help you track this down.

1> get a copy of Luke to examine your index (which you may have already).
2> Query.toString is your friend. It'll show you exactly what the parsed
    query looks like. It may be obvious when you see that output
    what the problem is, but if not you can try moving the parsed
    code into the search tab of Luke and glean more info.

Where did you get this data: "<itno:00000002     >,"? It's kind of
interesting that there are spaces AFTER the 000000002. What analyzer
did you use when you indexed it and can you guarantee that it's
the same analyzer that you used to parse the query?

And one aside. Opening and closing a searcher for each request is
very wasteful. Is closing your searcher just an artifact of cutting/pasting?
If not, you haven't opened the searcher in the snippet either <G>...

Best
Erick