Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Jeremy Hughes <jp...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/30 22:51:00 UTC

Top down build of trunk failing during release process (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Aries Parent 2.0.0)

After the release candidate artifacts are posted, module poms have their
version bumped up. So parent is now 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT. Modules that are being
released at the same time were depending on 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT and moved to
depend on 2.0.0 as part of their own release process. Which is fine for
reviewing the release artifacts of all those modules together. However, the
part of the release process that bumps a module's version in trunk
subsequent to the tagging, doesn't bump the dependency versions. They
shouldn't: a) there's no reason to depend on snapshot b) it doesn't know
the module it depends on is being released at the same time and therefore
isn't available in a repository.

Our process for releasing modules together that have dependencies between
them, is causing the trunk build to be broken while the release vote is
ongoing. I'm not sure what other multi-module projects do and why we're
different, but surely they don't all suffer from this.

Any ideas?

Re: Top down build of trunk failing during release process (was: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Aries Parent 2.0.0)

Posted by Thomas Watson <tj...@us.ibm.com>.
Isn't there some staging maven repo we can configure into our build that
points to our pre-release (non-SNAPSHOT) artifacts such that our builds can
continue while we are in release limbo?

Tom

From:	Jeremy Hughes <jp...@gmail.com>
To:	dev@aries.apache.org
Date:	06/30/2014 03:51 PM
Subject:	Top down build of trunk failing during release process (was:

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
Deploying a snapshot would not help in that case, because the modification
i've had to make for the release is about upgrading from snapshots to
releases which are not available yet.
I've fixed the build by uploading a 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT of parent and switching
the being-released modules to it.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.
I haven't tried, but if you use the -Pdev option for maven (enabling the
dev profile) when building , it should use the snapshot version of the
dependencies.

Posted by Holly Cummins <ho...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Tom,

Agree 100%, we want to always have a trunk that builds. The ways we can do this (IMO, in rough order of ease/desirability) are:

0. Always do a deploy during a release.
1. Avoid depending on snapshots except where, as you say, it is necessary.
2. Avoid doing releases of multiple bundles at the same time, if there are interdependencies (for example, releasing parent and blueprint at the same time). The downside of this is it means releases of large sets of bundles can be involve serious elapsed time, once all the vote windows are allowed between releases. When I released 1.0 without breaking trunk it took over a month.
4. Make temporary changes after preparing the release to patch things up into a buildable state.

Your idea of using the staging repos is I guess a variant of 4. and also does get us unbroken. It seems a shame to have to do it but it's definitely better than being broken during the vote.

Holly

Posted by Thomas Watson <tj...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Holly,

From:	Holly Cummins <ho...@googlemail.com>