Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Arnab Ganguly <ag...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/16 16:14:46 UTC

[users@httpd] Help on Apache pause

Hi All,
Is there anyway to check Apache closing the sockets properly?
I am getting lots of CLOSE_WAIT ,SYNC_RCV and TIME_WAIT state when I do a
netstat -a, and result it is Apache pauses.It waits for sometime and again
it comeback for processing.I did tried changing some of the TCP stack param
tcp_keepalive_intvl,tcp_keepalive_probes
,net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog,net.ipv4.tcp_synack_retries,
net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout but still the problem is reproducible.This happens
under heavy load only.
Thanks
-A

Re: [users@httpd] Help on Apache pause

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Arnab Ganguly <ag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Is there anyway to check Apache closing the sockets properly?
> I am getting lots of CLOSE_WAIT ,SYNC_RCV and TIME_WAIT state when I do a
> netstat -a, and result it is Apache pauses.It waits for sometime and again
> it comeback for processing.I did tried changing some of the TCP stack param
> tcp_keepalive_intvl,tcp_keepalive_probes
> ,net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog,net.ipv4.tcp_synack_retries,
> net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout but still the problem is reproducible.This happens
> under heavy load only.
> Thanks

CLOSE_WAIT means Apache doesn't know the client closed the connection
because it hasn't tried to read from it again.  You need to figure out
what your server is doing when it doesn't notice this, by looking at
backtraces of the running threads.  They're likely stuck in some kind
of handler.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com