Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de> on 2009/09/20 21:49:24 UTC

New Tapestry Website - Final review

Hello,

I finished the last open tasks for the new website.  I would appreciate,
if we get this finished as soon as possible as I need to focus on my
normal work for the next weeks. In addition, we have to continuously
update the current status in case changes happen to existing docs, so it
would be nice to get this in the trunk as soon as possible.

So please core committers, if possible take some time to get this
finally decided. Most of the work is done anyway, it is more a question
of getting the content into the subversion repository and staging the
content.

The website can be tested here http://tapestry.laliluna.de and you can
get the current status from my git repository:
git clone http://dev.laliluna.de/public/tapestry-website.git/
tapestry-website

I fixed the broken links reported by Ivano and repaired the JQuery
documentation in order that the correct menus are always open.

I integrated the userguide in the website in order to show how it would
look like.
I discussed with Howard that there are mainly two options to place the
userguide. Howard points out that the current approach to have the user
guide integrated in the tapestry project, makes it easier to keep it
aligned with the source code version and doesn't require a second commit
to be done. It might be more likely that the doc gets updated in that case.

My proposal is to integrate the userguide into the normal webpage
because of two reason. We can continously work on the userguide and
publish updates from time to time without waiting for the next release
to come out. My strategy for the branches look like this.
The website is published from a 'toPublish' branch. This branch has
currently the 5.1.0.5 documentation.  We allow this branch to be updated
as long as the 5.1.0.6 release appears. Then a 5.1.0.5 tag is made. The
most current work happens as usual in the trunk, but as I said before,
be might update the current published branch from the changes in the
trunk. We have a slightly higher effort when adding content to the
current published version but at least can do it and we have still a
kind of alignment to the code.

Both options are possible and it would be nice if this is decided as
soon as possible. We can change this back at any time. It is more or
less a copying of about 10 files from A to b and a minimal change in two
site.xml

Please state your opinion, if the website proposal is fine or not.

Andreas pointed out that we might move the new website to GitHub. You
need to decide as well, if we do this or keep everything in the normal
subversion repository. My private repo is only a temporarily solution.

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----
Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence
http://www.laliluna.de

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 00:23, Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>wrote:

> This happens after having clicked on any element in the menu without
> finally navigating to a new entry. If you click on a link and the page is
> loaded, you can use up and down keys to scroll the page.

Yes, this is what I wanted to do - explore menu entries. I just didn't
expect any elements on a web page (especially links) get focused.

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.

--
Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> slightly higher effort when adding content to the current published version
> but at least can do it and we have still a kind of alignment to the code.
>
> Both options are possible and it would be nice if this is decided as soon
> as possible. We can change this back at any time. It is more or less a
> copying of about 10 files from A to b and a minimal change in two site.xml
>
> Please state your opinion, if the website proposal is fine or not.
>
> Andreas pointed out that we might move the new website to GitHub. You need
> to decide as well, if we do this or keep everything in the normal subversion
> repository. My private repo is only a temporarily solution.
>
> --
> Best Regards / Viele Grüße
>
> Sebastian Hennebrueder
> -----
> Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review (fixed)

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.

Sebastian Hennebrueder schrieb:
> Geoff Callender schrieb:
>> Has the page containing Third Party Libraries, Tutorials and Resources
>> ( http://tapestry.apache.org/ ) been lost in this process?
> Yes but not intentionally. I will add it to the external component menu.
> There is an article section already here
> http://tapestry.laliluna.de/articles-books.html
It is fixed now

> [...]
>>> content to the current published version but at least can do it and
>>> we have still a kind of alignment to the code.
>>>
>>> Both options are possible and it would be nice if this is decided as
>>> soon as possible. We can change this back at any time. It is more or
>>> less a copying of about 10 files from A to b and a minimal change in
>>> two site.xml
>>>
>>> Please state your opinion, if the website proposal is fine or not.
>>>
>>> Andreas pointed out that we might move the new website to GitHub. You
>>> need to decide as well, if we do this or keep everything in the
>>> normal subversion repository. My private repo is only a temporarily
>>> solution.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards / Viele Grüße
>>>
>>> Sebastian Hennebrueder
>>> -----
>>> Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence

Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.
Geoff Callender schrieb:
> [...]

>> content to the current published version but at least can do it and we
>> have still a kind of alignment to the code.
>>
>> Both options are possible and it would be nice if this is decided as
>> soon as possible. We can change this back at any time. It is more or
>> less a copying of about 10 files from A to b and a minimal change in
>> two site.xml
>>
>> Please state your opinion, if the website proposal is fine or not.
>>
>> Andreas pointed out that we might move the new website to GitHub. You
>> need to decide as well, if we do this or keep everything in the normal
>> subversion repository. My private repo is only a temporarily solution.
>>
>> --
>> Best Regards / Viele Grüße
>>
>> Sebastian Hennebrueder
>> -----
>> Software Developer and Trainer for Hibernate / Java Persistence

Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Vangel V. Ajanovski" <aj...@ii.edu.mk>.
On 23.09.2009 10:10, Sebastian Hennebrueder wrote:
> The idea is nice but I think technically it is not possible. If you
> click to any page from the sitemap the menu would appear again.
> But your proposal points me to another idea. I think that a new user
> would benefit from the sliding menu as it is simpler to oversee the
> different areas.
I think that you can have both.
1. Main page used for guests and people that want to know what's new,
filled with news about Tapestry and related components and technologies,
and latest how-tos and tutorials, with a dynamic menu like you have for
showing everything else.
2. Main page used for everyday tapestry developers who would probably
need fast links to various references - this could be e a sitemap with
full contents with small fonts for separate pages. This could have the
same menu if a better menu is not possible. If it's possible then a
special sitemap menu could zoom-in the fonts on parts of the sitemap
that are relevant, when you click on categories. If you catch my idea.
(This would be a nice Tapestry component, but I am not that good with
Tapestry to make it myself).

When clicked on leafs (of the category tree) both 1 and 2 would lead to
standard pages with a menu, the same menu as on 1.

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.
The idea is nice but I think technically it is not possible. If you
click to any page from the sitemap the menu would appear again.

But your proposal points me to another idea. I think that a new user
would benefit from the sliding menu as it is simpler to oversee the
different areas.

We could make a button to disable the menu (setting a cookie) and
everybody who don't need the menu during his daily work can easily
switch of the menu.

What do you think?

@Sergey
I will try to integrate the search the next days.

Best Regards

Sebastian

Vangel V. Ajanovski schrieb:
> I find that dynamic menus that slide down (or in any direction) slow me
> down.
> You need to wait a part of a second or maybe even one whole second til
> it slides, while with a static menu I would already be inside the page I
> wanted.
>
> But this is true only if everything can be easily fitted on one page, so
> that's why I would recomment to have an automatically updated sitemap.
> For me, sitemaps are a nice solution for fast way of navigation. You
> need one click to open it and after a short glance you will see what you
> need and in which context it is located.
>
> On 21.09.2009 17:22, Ivano Luberti wrote:
>> Don't know I finfd myself so oftent as part of a minority, but I like
>> dinamic menu with only one submenu expanded at time , like now.
>>
>> Sergey Didenko ha scritto:
>>
>>> Well, after more thinking I'm more for multiple open menus. IMHO they
>>> stress doc structure better.

Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----

Posted by "Vangel V. Ajanovski" <aj...@ii.edu.mk>.

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.

Sergey Didenko ha scritto:
> Well, after more thinking I'm more for multiple open menus. IMHO they
> stress doc structure better.

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-9711344
web: www.archicoop.it

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com>.
The search input can be done just by inserting google custom search
code, like this

"<script src="http://www.gmodules.com/ig/ifr?url=http://www.google.com/cse/api/016399560855919712413/cse/wdbpuwqto88/gadget&amp;synd=open&amp;w=320&amp;h=75&amp;title=Tapestry&amp;border=%23ffffff%7C3px%2C1px+solid+%23999999&amp;output=js"></script>"

See http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=016399560855919712413:wdbpuwqto88
"Add this search engine to your blog or webpage"

I think this search can be placed on every page. Though it should be
polished first. Currently it find Tapestry 4 pages too.

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.
Ted Steen schrieb:
> +1 for static menus
>
> 2009/9/21 Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com>:
>> It would be really good to place search hints from this thread:
>> "search hints for Tapestry 5" (July, 23) in "User guide" menu.

Hello,

in case we use static menus, I could display the tutorial menu collapsed
and move the user guide (in case it is kept in the documentation -
discussion is open) to the end of the menu. I could show the userguide
collapsed as well. We would loose a menu level in the user guide but
there is still one menu level left. Currently we don't group items in
the user guide.

You can test static menus by deactivating JavaScript.

I noted the proposal with the search hints. Where should this be placed?
user guide or documentation index page?

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----

Posted by Ted Steen <te...@gmail.com>.
+1 for static menus

Posted by Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com>.
It would be nice to put a link to the component reference on
http://tapestry.laliluna.de/userguide/index.html .

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com>.
I'm for either multiple open menus or static menus.

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:49:35 -0300, Max Weißböck (info)
<ma...@weissboeck.info> escreveu:

> - I would much prefer a "static" menu and not this dynamic open/close
> "flutter"

+1 to static menus.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com>.
About the search - as I wrote above I think the search button should
be on the every page.

May be it would be good to have checkboxes "include maillist" and so
on. The mail list is pretty important resource for T5, but a bit
messy.

May be it's ok to create this search based on the custom google
search, as I suggested earlier. We need more opinions on that.
Actually the first version can be put right now to make it more
visual.

We also need more opinions on what sources to include in our google
custom search.

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by Sergey Didenko <se...@gmail.com>.
I like the user guide to be updated "out-of-the-cycle" with marks like:

"
<introduced-in release="5.2.0.0">
 Tapestry can now automatigically frobnicate the groznard via the ....
</introduced-in>
"

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by Michael Gerzabek <mi...@gmx.net>.
Howard Lewis Ship schrieb:
> Tapestry used to use Forrest, but it was a lot of work to get it functioning
> correctly and predictably.

That was true for older versions. With 0.8, which is the same release
for two years right now, it's really simple.

1. unpack the zip into some arbitrary directory
2. set path to contain FORREST_HOME\bin
3. do "forrest seed" in the directory where you want the documentation
4. and start editing with your favorite XML editor

Changing the stylesheet or project layout is a rather more complex task
though.

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Tapestry used to use Forrest, but it was a lot of work to get it functioning
correctly and predictably.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Michael Gerzabek
<mi...@gmx.net>wrote:

> Howard Lewis Ship schrieb:
>

>> On another front ... the organization (outside of my above thoughts)
>> appears
>> pretty nice (I still haven't had a chance to look at it in more detail)
>> but
>> this documentation reboot is also a chance to move away from using Maven
>> generate the documentation. I've had good luck using Ant + XSLT for my
>> personal web sites, but I'd also be interested in looking at other
>> options,
>> including non-Java based ones (Texttile & redbook & those other options).
>>  It's just a matter of building out the HTML and transferring it up to
>> Apache, it doesn't have to be Java-based ... and I think a visual refresh,
>> even beyond what Sebastian has accomplished, would be a good thing.
>>
> Do you know http://forrest.apache.org? I use(d) it a lot and it has
> everything in place for documentation and static websites. You could also
> write docs in docbook format, generate pdf's and write your documentation
> with forrest running in servlet mode for live page reloading.
>

>> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Piero Sartini <lists@pierosartini.de
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  +1 for single-click navigation!

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

The source for Tapestry training, mentoring and support. Contact me to learn
how I can get you up and productive in Tapestry fast!

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: New Tapestry Website - Final review

Posted by Michael Gerzabek <mi...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Sebastian Hennebrueder <us...@laliluna.de>.
Hello,

it is nice to get so much feedback on this.
I set up a second page with static navigation: http://tapestry2.laliluna.de/
Tutorial and Documentation is now collapsed to reduce the total size of
the menu.

The most important thing considering the structure is where to put the
user guide. both options are explained. Could you  give an opinion on
this as well? See Howards posting and my initial posting to get an
impression of the pros and cons.

My opinion on a different technology see below.

Howard Lewis Ship schrieb:
> Sebastian and I have chatted about this seperately, and I have an issue with
> the documentation structure ... but I'd like to hear other people's
> thoughts.
> Basically, moving the user documentation up a level is problematic.
>
> Currently, the user guide is generated as part of the tapestry-project
> documentation (the parent of tapestry-ioc, tapestry-core, etc.).  Thus
> documentation changes are coordinated with code changes, and every document
> page includes the version of Tapestry (5.0.18, 5.1.0.5, 5.2.0.0-SNAPSHOT)
> that it applies to.  It also makes it easier for developers to coordinate
> code and documentation changes.
>
> Moving the documentation up a level (to tapestry-site, what Sebastian has
> been proposing) has one advantage: the documentation can be updated
> out-of-cycle; it's no longer beholden to the release cycle for Tapestry
> versions.  But that's also a problem, because the the documentation will
> tend to be AHEAD of the currently available downloads.
>
> That's not the end of the world and perhaps we could introduce some semantic
> tags, i.e.
>
> <introduced-in release="5.2.0.0">
>   Tapestry can now automatigically frobnicate the groznard via the ....
> </introduced-in>
>
> That would generate a call out next to the paragraph to clearly indicate the
> release applicable.
>
> On another front ... the organization (outside of my above thoughts) appears
> pretty nice (I still haven't had a chance to look at it in more detail) but
> this documentation reboot is also a chance to move away from using Maven to
> generate the documentation. I've had good luck using Ant + XSLT for my
> personal web sites, but I'd also be interested in looking at other options,
> including non-Java based ones (Texttile & redbook & those other options).
>  It's just a matter of building out the HTML and transferring it up to
> Apache, it doesn't have to be Java-based ... and I think a visual refresh,
> even beyond what Sebastian has accomplished, would be a good thing.

For my own website www.laliluna I started to play around with a ruby
based solution using a Ruby template engine and a short script basically
rebuilding what is inside of the Velocity script which is used by Maven.
I am currently using a slightly modified script which needs to be
installed as normal Maven skin.

It is no problem to change this but the current state works as well. It
is not the most elegant not the fastest but it is doing the job. I would
prefer to keep it at the moment and to update the website structure
first, the features page could be reworked, articles for the getting
started section have to be selected. There is probably enough to be done.

--
Best Regards / Viele Grüße

Sebastian Hennebrueder
-----

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Piero Sartini <li...@pierosartini.de>.

Posted by Norman Franke <no...@myasd.com>.
On the Documentation > Component Reference, I use that the most, and
having a single click method of getting there would be best (from the
home page.) Otherwise, one needs to click on Documentation then click
on Component Reference. The current page is single click-friendly,
which is handy. Yes, one could bookmark it, but I have too many
bookmarks. :)

Norman Franke
Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
www.myasd.com