Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2008/09/19 06:36:49 UTC

[VOTE] Accept VCL into Apache Incbator

This item has been out for discussion for a few weeks.  Please
indicate your preference for accepting VCL to the Incubator.  Proposal
is included below for posterity.  We're looking for a few more
mentors.  If there is discussion please create a parallel [DISCUSS]
thread.

[ ] +1 Accept VCL into Incubator
[ ]  0 No preference
[ ] -1 Do not accept VCL (please state rationale)

VCL Proposal
A proposal to the Apache Software Foundation Incubator PMC by

Matt Hogstrom*, Aaron Peeler#, Mladen Vouk#

*IBM, #North Carolina State University

September 6, 2008

1. Abstract
VCL is a management framework for building, dispensing and managing
virtual machine images across a set of bare metal machines or systems
with an installed virtual machine hypervisor.

2. Proposal
This proposal seeks to create a top-level Apache Software Foundation
project to continue the development and advancement of the Virtual
Computing Lab open-source framework. This project is primarily
concerned with providing a framework for hosting virtual server
instances. These instances can contain a variety of application types.
This implementation is in use at North Carolina State University to
facilitate efficient use of their computing infrastructure using
virtualization technologies. It has broad backing from the existing
contributors to the North Carolina State University Virtual Computing
Lab as well as interest from a variety of outside organizations.

The current participants are interested in expanding the usage of this
platform to include multiple target hypervisors as well as enhance
tooling for creating and managing virtual machine images. A partial
list of additional enhancements includes image management for storing
and archiving large number of images.

We thank you for your consideration.

Key Features & Goals

Scheduling server resources in a virtualized environment to improve
hardware and software efficiency.
Expand supported hypervisors to include additional machine
architectures.
Security support for multiple roles in managing and gaining access to
Cloud resources.
Tools to create images to be hosted in the virtual infrastructure.
To construct a REST driven framework for managing virtual computing
resources.
3. Rationale
The current implementation of the Virtual Computing Lab provides
benefits for NC State University in terms of efficiently managing
hardware and software resources. It also improves the simplicity to
distribute images to a wide variety of users in a simplified way thus
increasing human productivity in the process. Although originally
focused on academic usage the infrastructure to manage the virtual
assets have broader applicability for general data processing needs.
To explore these additional areas NC State wants to bring this project
to a more general population of developers and users to expand the
usefulness of the codebase.

In addition, this technology would benefit many organizations that are
looking to manage a set of physical assets through the application of
virtual server and image management.

4. Need for a Community Effort
The VCL project at NC State has been very successful at serving the
needs of the academic community and their unique needs for image
creation, dispensing, usage and scheduling. To enhance the system for
broader applicability for hosting other workload types and
incorporating a diverse set of ideas and driving towards a more
generalized approach there is a need for developers from commercial,
academic and other users to be involved in evolving the code base.

5. Known Risks
Commitment to future development. NC State has been actively working
this code base with other universities since 2004. Enhancements are
needed as the world of cloud computing evolves. The initial commiters
listed are actively working on the code base and have a list of
desired enhancements included later in this proposal.

Experience with open source. Some of the developers have had limited
involvement in open source projects. They understand that
collaboration at Apache is community oriented. Working with mentors
and others at Apache to build a solid community around the code base
is an understood goal of the project.

Diversity of developer community. The initial code base was developed
at NC State over a few years with involvement with some local
universities. There has also been interest and some participation from
corporate interests. The initial community is made up of individuals
from 5 universities and one corporation.

Relationship to other Apache projects. There are no Apache projects
such as VCL is currently involved with although the project uses
releases from projects such as HTTP. Recent proposals such as Tashi
have similar goals but not necessarily complete overlap.

7. Source
The seed code from NC State has been in production since 2004 and has
undergone several changes over that time. It currently serves the
needs of the Virtual Computing Lab in use at NC State as well as other
universities in various stages of exploitation.

Access to existing source code can be found here for those interested
in looking at current project status:

Re: [VOTE] Accept VCL into Apache Incbator

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.

> [X] +1 Accept VCL into Incubator

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Accept VCL into Apache Incbator

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
+1

Craig

On Sep 18, 2008, at 9:36 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> VCL Proposal
> A proposal to the Apache Software Foundation Incubator PMC by
>
> Matt Hogstrom*, Aaron Peeler#, Mladen Vouk#

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] Accept VCL into Apache Incbator

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
+1

Re: [DISCUSS] Accept VCL into Apache Incbator

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I was planning on closing this vote Friday September 26 at 12:00 ET.

Just a heads up

Posted by Henning Schmiedehausen <he...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:

> This item has been out for discussion for a few weeks.  Please indicate
> your preference for accepting VCL to the Incubator.  Proposal is included
> below for posterity.  We're looking for a few more mentors.  If there is
> discussion please create a parallel [DISCUSS] thread.
>
> [ ] +1 Accept VCL into Incubator
> [ ]  0 No preference
> [ ] -1 Do not accept VCL (please state rationale)

+1

Matthieu

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.
+1 (binding)

cheers,
   Roland

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 6:36 AM, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:
>> ...Please indicate your
>> preference for accepting VCL to the Incubator...

+1

I revert my previous -1 as 3 mentors are now listed at
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/VCLProposal:

      Alan Cabrera (adc@apache.org)
      Kevan Miller (kevan@apache.org)
      Matt Hogstrom (hogstrom@apache.org)

-Bertrand

Re: [DISCUSS] Accept VCL into Apache Incbator

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Thanks Kevan.

I'll call the vote after its baked a little longer and Bertrand
provides his input.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Bertrand,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
+1

Regards,
Alan

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Accept VCL into Apache Incbator

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> >
> >Thanks Bill.  Following the bouncing ball from our documentation
> >(http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html ):

i.e.
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html#Acceptance

> >*If that vote is affirmative, the Sponsor will propose to the
> >Incubator PMC (referencing the voting result e-mail) that your
> >candidate project be accepted by the Incubator as a Podling . The
> >Sponsor will assign Mentors. The Mentors may include your original
> >Champion. If not, it is expected your Champion will remain involved
> >during the rest of the Incubation process, providing as much
> >assistance as possible.*
> >
> >The process was clear as mud to me  :-P
>
> I agree that this is a source of confusion. If the Sponsor is *not*
> the incubator, then the paragraph you cited applies. If the Sponsor
> *is* the incubator, nothing else is required.
>
> Care to write a patch? ;-)

I detected this same confusion a few days ago.
It is a different location to Matt's reference above.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INCUBATOR-93
"Incubation_Policy.html#Acceptance+By+Incubator needs clarification or be followed"
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Acceptance+By+Incubator

-David

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Accept VCL into Apache Incbator

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
How did I know that was coming ?

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Matt,

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> 7 Binding +1's and 2 non-binding.
>
> Binding votes were:
>
> Alan Cabrera
> Bertrand Delacretaz
> Matt Hogstrom
> Kevan Miller
> Matthieu Riou
> Craig Russell
> Henning Schmiedehausen
>
> Can the PMC ACK this result and we'll start the next step of the process?

Nack nack nack, no more ACK!

ACK things come from places where the committee doesn't know what's going
on but needs to oversee it, e.g. a podling list's vote to the incubator;
a pmc's vote to the board.

The people above ARE THE IPMC!  Their vote WAS YOUR ACK :)

And please do /not/ crosspost public and private lists, it makes moderation
a much bigger PITA.  general@ is the incubator committee's list except where
there's a private matter of people-issues.  So posting to general@ is
posting to the PMC, no extra need for a private@ mail.

Congrats to VCL :)

Bill

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Accept VCL into Apache Incbator

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Mistake on my part Roland.  It's not that I don't love you but more
likely my eyes are old.

Ammended here to 9 +1's.

Posted by Roland Weber <os...@dubioso.net>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> In total there were 9 +1 votes cast.
>
> 7 Binding +1's and 2 non-binding.
>
> Binding votes were:
>
> Alan Cabrera
> Bertrand Delacretaz
> Matt Hogstrom
> Kevan Miller
> Matthieu Riou
> Craig Russell
> Henning Schmiedehausen
>
> Emmanuel Lecharny
> Roland Weber
>
> Can the PMC ACK this result and we'll start the next step of the
> process?

Ack. Not sure if it is needed, but Ack.

-David

[RESULT] [VOTE] Accept VCL into Apache Incbator

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.